Sunday, August 07, 2005

A Year in the Blog of a Life

Our story begins in the summer of 1953. Both my parents were 8 years old and would meet for the first time about 13 years from now. Fast-forward to 1971, I was born. Fast-forward 32 years to the summer of 2004, when I would create an account on Blogger.Com and create my first post. My first post really was inspired by watching the Miss Teen USA contest, and was the first of many posts that would start with some tiny nugget of truth warped into something most of you just shake your head at and close the browser window for fear you'd get caught reading blogs at work.

The next couple of posts were crap, and within a week I had already changed the name. As I noted a little later, "The View from My Skull" was wholly inappropriate to the kind of crap I was going to be publishing. The first post I wrote that really made me laugh was AFV , which is entirely ficticious since I would never admit to watching that show. I then went through a bit of a dry spell, although I thought The Immaculate Secretion and Dead Hooker, SCHMED Hooker were slightly amuzing. In late October/early November I had a bit of trouble with squirrels that led to a few good posts and some lusting over Cute Chinese Girl. Usually I just give myself a little chuckle at the image of something ludicrous like a Hooters girl moving into my attic or punching my nephew so hard that he blacks out.

I always thought Motivation was a damn fine post and I'm a little surprised I don't still get mail on it. I thought my China series was both informative and amuzing, though you all seemed to like the photos better. Not taking the hint, I continued writing about it and later wrote a couple of entries about Japan, where again the photos were the most interesting part.

As I scan entries from the Spring, nothing in particular jumps out at me. Some funny turns of phrase here or there, but nothing I'm particularly proud of (aside: nor ashamed of). Three that seemed to be well regarded were Late, Other blogs, and Without Borders, the latter two taking full advantage of the comedy powerhouse that is the ninja. There may be one more ninja-related post lurking in the recesses of my imagination...I can hear Jethro cheering from here.

So, to sum up, in short, to recap it in a slightly clearer version...All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the creative writing I've done here and totally amazed that I've kept at it for a whole year (173 entries- not too shabby). I'm somewhat indifferent to the personal stuff I've posted about my real life. Not because I'm either proud or ashamed of it but because I don't blog as a 'release'. If that's your motivation for blogging, I'm happy to read it and offer whatever I can, be it useful or smartass. I am somewhat pleased that I've stayed with Blogger through thick and thin, with the same template and very few other changes- I prefer to think it's about the writing and not the pretty pictures or geeky add-ins. But the thing I'm most pleased with is that you take a few minutes out of your day to read what I've written. I'd love to list you all by name and thank you individually, but I'd leave someone out and then you'd bitch non-stop because it's all about you, isn't it?

[Ed. Note: Apologies if this seemed entirely self-indulgent. Try sharing an office with him!]

12 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

Happy birthday! Yours is some amusing readingi. It's all about indulgence. Well done.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

"Readingi" being a word I've recently made up?

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Allie said...

yes it is.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Happy Blogday! It's been a fine year, at least the part of it that I've been around.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Sass said...

Now we get to spank you and smear icing all over your face

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Alison- Kind words from the Queen of self-indulgence.

Allison- The extra 'L' is no extra charge, right?

ikeMay- I'm still going to destroy you...just biding my time.

De- I may be a year and a half behind you, but I'm catching up.

Sass- Oh hell yeah! Normally I have to pay a $20 cover for that...

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger tonia said...

I'll pay a $20 to join in!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

The ninja stuff is priceless and the squirrels got me to read you regularly.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Allie said...

you and i both know you left out one of the most interesting parts of this past year.

something about a psycho.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Tonia- Bring your camera, but leave the cats at home. I've still got your Milanos, if you know what I mean. *wink wink*

Z- Some would argue there's nothing regular about either one of us.

#1#3- You can't prove that, Rusty.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Congratulations (late) on your one year. I'm glad you stuck to your template. It fits you. And at least I know where I'm at when I visit. :)

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger lucidkim said...

i've had 2 people change my template and i was happy to let them, but was just as happy blogging with my first pink blogger template version. i always enjoy reading your blog, but now i'm wondering. um. where do you get your release? :) kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home