Sunday, July 24, 2005

True, thrilling, titillating tales

Another weekend so exciting this blog should be rated NC-17...
"I don't wanna wait in vain for your love"
I finally saw "Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Sith." I thought it was better than the last two, mostly because we're finally done with Christensen's brooding adolescence. I've read complaints about his final "Nooo!" but it really wasn't any worse than Hamill's "Nooo!" in Empire. It's a comic book of a movie. Glad I finally saw it, but more glad I wasn't the one paying for it.
That's from a song entitled "Waiting in Vain."
I also saw "Seeing Other People" starring Jay Mohr and Julianne Nicholson, a funny little film about a couple about to be married. The bride-to-be decides she hasn't been with enough men, so she convinces the groom-to-be that they should sleep with other people until they get married. Hijinx ensue. Also stars Lauren Graham, Bryan Cranston, Josh Charles, and Andy Richter. Worth seeing, if you can find it.
Originally written by Bob Marley, Annie Lennox covered it a few years ago.
Saturday was birthday party #2 for nephew #2. Trucks & play tools, runny noses, screaming, and hitting were the order of the day. Still, I managed to have a good time in the vicinity of my family. Followed by watching "Mr & Mrs Smith" which was also fun. I don't care if Brad & Angelina are an item or not, she's delicious.
You can hear Annie's version on the "Serendipity" soundtrack.
Sunday was the typical sleep late/do nothing day. Grocery shopping. Yeah, I bore me too.
Anyway, it just seemed to fit the way I've felt over the last few days.
I received a couple of "advance copy" music albums this week. I shouldn't mention the names, but they're something like 'Hooter and the Pufferfish' and 'Jay Mroz'. The former is wholly uninteresting- If you're already a fan you'll like it, because it's completely unevolved from their previous albums; If you're not a fan, you're unlikely to become one after hearing this album. The latter is much better, also assuming you like that kind of music: It's much more varied stylistically, both from his previous albums and also from track to track, but it's not schizophrenic in that regard. I'd say there are three tracks possibly destined for mainstream airplay.
I'd like to know if you've found the secret message, but don't let on.
Oh yes, Inanna's comment reminds me that "The Last Samurai" that I'm reading is the REAL story, which the Tom Cruise movie from 2003 (which was entertaining as fiction) completely butchered. The Hollywood screenwriters so distorted reality that they had to change the name of the last samurai character because the real man is still a beloved historical figure. Suffice it to say, there weren't any drunk US civil war heroes in 19th century Japan learning bushido in remote mountain villages. If you're interested in reading about actual Japanese history, I'll provide a bibliography when I'm done with the book.

7 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Angelina is the MOST delicious of all.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

Hollywood butchering history? You're kidding!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger NML/Natalie said...

Hello! I always wondered who the Texas reader was. Thank you for your comment and the tip off. I am truly horrified by what happened. I went to places that were only doors away from the hotel. I hate what is going on in the world at the moment!
That was hilarious what you said re The Last Samurai. Tom Cruise does have a habit of butchering things...;-)

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger PDgirl said...

hey--don't underestimate grocery shopping as a very therapuetic and wonderful time.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Mike- This is one to own on DVD.

Jeth- Apparently if you want the truth you have to watch TV, not the movies.

NML- That's me, lurking in the shadows. Of course I love your blog, but Tobey would really love it, if she's reading this...

Aide- Grocery shopping is an exercise in frustration, as I always forget something I need. Yes, even if I make a list.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

Sweetie, you really need to start coming down here to spend your weekends with us. With a stripper pole in the neighbors boom-boom room, it's worthy of a NC-17 rating.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Beth said...

I found the secret message.

Oh, right, we're not supposed to let on.

D'oh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home