Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Round One

That's "Round, the First" not "One who is Round"...
She complains a lot about the guys she's dated/dating.
I met with a recruiter today. The first time anyone has called me in for an interview in well over 6 months, probably closer to 10. I'm somewhat sympathetic to recruiters and HR personnel, given that the job market has been pretty soft and they surely get many many applicants, qualified and otherwise. What I'm not sympathetic to is being in the 'people business' but lacking people skills. "Do not reply to this email." There is absolutely no reason to be so hostile to someone who wants you to make money off of me. "Due to the number of applicants, we cannot respond to each and every one." Right, because email is a complex, expensive, and tedious technology and you get a small electric shock from your chair every time you send one out. From my perspective, you lack compassion.
I admit, it makes me want to ask her out. To prove her wrong.
But someone took pity on me and called me in for a meet & greet, skills assessment, and paperwork rodeo (Yee-HA!). I thoroughly embarassed myself on the skills assessment part, because it's been over 2 years since I've touched a server, I've never had any formal training in administration, and I don't really want to be an administrator anymore anyway. Look around your company- Does your system administrator have an MBA? No, he's a goateed troll with Mountain Dew in an IV-drip. His boss probably has an MBA. Anyone see a pattern here? But she can get me either a permanent or contract-to-permanent position as an admin in the vicinity of my price range, if not more. It would be nice to have money to spend on hookers and blow again...
I can't. You already know the reason why: Money.
Over the past 2 years I've turned down jobs, refusing to work, because I know I would hate it. I'm too old to "have a job" - I want a career and I want to love it. Shut up, it's not too much to ask. My heart isn't in IT anymore, and despite my natural aptitude for it I've earned the right not to hate getting up in the morning, dreading going to work. And I don't want to do the job poorly either because I don't care.
Not to mention she's WAY out of my league.
The real joy of my day was getting to drive from the Galleria to The Woodlands, then back during rush hour traffic. This doesn't mean much to the non-Houstonians, but it's 70 miles (112 km) roundtrip through Dantés Inferno. Seriously, Houston is layed out exactly like Hell. If you go to Mapquest and type in 'Houston, TX' you'll see the concentric circles and everything. Without Virgil to guide me through the wasteland I just tucked into the draft behind a big rig and slowly drifted off towards Enlightenment. [Ed. note: actually, that was the diesel fumes]
Don't worry, it's just a crush. It'll pass. Right, Z?
I had a pretty good workout this evening. My foot appears to be back to normal, so I sweated through a brisk walk in the nighttime heat. Crunches and lunges and curls, oh my.

13 Comments:

At 4:05 AM, Blogger HighMaintenanceHussy said...

Keep on keepin' on, my friend. Transition is always scary.

As for Houston, I've heard the exact same thing. I don't know how y'all live in that heat.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Allie said...

does than mean that since we talked before you walked ... that you weren't all sweaty and hot with me ..... you were just fakin?

the panting, the screaming, the moaning, the yelling.

fake.fake.fake.fake.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

there is never enough money to spend on hookers and blow. ever. trust me. i've tried and it is just futile.

there is, however, enough money for steak dinners with appetizers and desserts! served by a hot norweigan.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Just Me said...

houston=purgatory...take it from somebody who knows

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

HMH- I think you meant to say "Transit is scary."

Al- And yet, master of my domain.

Aide- So are you a stuffed mushroom or an artichoke dip kinda gal? (Shush Allie, I already know- both)

Wendi- Purgatory doesn't have the West Loop though.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

I think they should start referring to Houston as Crush city. If it were easy, it would be called something else.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Sass said...

Glad to hear the foot is doing better and the job track is back on schedule.
Kudos.
You deleted something that was there earlier. I wasn't sure where you were going with it.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Yay for an interview! I'll keep my eyes crossed for ya.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

artichoke, hands down.

i try to avoid eating mold as much as possible.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Z- Uh huh.

Sass- Thanks. You sure that was me? I'm not one for removing posts unless I'm working on it.

KtP- It must be working. Keep 'em crossed.

Aide- Fungus, but who's counting?

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Sass said...

You had a line up there about talking about relationships - then you erased it. And yes it was you.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Sass- You caught me. There's white-out all over my monitor ;)

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger NML/Natalie said...

You're completely right to want more than a job. A career is much more fulfilling. Recruiters in general wreck my head. They're like an online dating experience. They don't listen to your needs half the time and often don't read your resume properly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home