Friday, November 26, 2004

Fun with family

Turns out an aunt and cousin came for Thanksgiving after all. The real news is that my dad is going senile. We were talking about pictures and started talking about the best picture my dad has ever taken with his camera, 20 years ago. He's not a pro photographer or anything, he just got lucky. It's a picture of a guy in 18th century costume playing a recorder on the steps of a cathedral in either York or Bath, England while a couple of little (non-costumed) children dance in front of him. It's one of those spontaneous moments and you know how little children are- they hear music and they can't control their little bodies. Dad was insisting that the picture was taken in front of the Notre Dame in Paris, but since I wasn't with him when he was in Paris and I was present when the picture was taken it couldn't be Paris. So the rest of the day was spent teasing him about the pictures we took this summer of the Great Wall of Paris and Le Forbidden Cité. That's how my family operates- we make fun of each other until just before someone leaves the room to cry.

The sticky twins (my sister's boys) were there too. The little one has begun a biting-phase, just as the older one did at about this age (18 mos). I call him 'skeeter' to reinforce our white-trash image. The older one scratched the hell out of my face, so I'm either going to not shave until it heals or I'm only going to shave the un-scratched side of my face and just tell people I'm test-marketing a new brand of shaving cream. After he scratched me I punched him so hard he blacked-out for nearly 5 minutes, but at least he wasn't crying. I love being bigger than him.

I mentioned my sister is pregnant again, but I don't think I ever told you she's getting the little girl she wanted. They're going to name her "Lilly" which is nice and I like the name, I just wouldn't name my child that. I don't know, it's just too old-fashioned and sounds contrived to me. Our mother's mother's name was "Lillian" so that's where it comes from. On the subject of names and due to the pregnancy/hormones, we've started calling my sister "Spongebrain, stretchpants."

4 Comments:

At 3:15 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

1. I didn't know Skeeter was a white trash name. I have an Australian friend here who calls his sister Skeeter. I guess that makes him white trash. (Must remember to tell him the next time I see him. I wonder if he knows?)

2. I called my friend who was pregnant 'Fatty.' Very unoriginal of me, I know, but it was curiously satisfying. It's not a name I would use normally. (Since she had the baby I've started calling her 'Skinny', which is not nearly as truthful.)

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger se7en said...

I have tons of pics from years ago that I have no idea where the hell I took em, but I don't think I am senile....hmmm

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Theic- I'm not sure that white trash->skeeter = skeeter->white-trash. Perhaps it's contextual as well. I'll have to go look it up.

Spot- Don't be so sure Boudreaux.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

"Spongebrain, stretchpants"



GUFFAW-SNORT-WHEEZE
all at the same time. it hurt. shit, that's funny.




and help me explain "Boudreaux" to non-Louisiana bordering states? like south, i mean, suck carolina. they just DON'T get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home