Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Here we, here we, here we, here we...go

Name it. Nothing coherent again today, so bear with the short takes:

1) Have you seen the PBS mini-series Regency House Party? It's basically reality TV set in the early 1800s. Nevermind the details, but they're all British, so they've got cracking accents. The "host" of the house party is Mr. Gorell Barnes. Gorell is not his first name, it's Tom (I think). Why didn't the British tradition of having 2 last names ever catch on here? My middle & last names, which I won't share with you at this time, would make a grand British name if I do say so. Part of the problem is that my middle name is of Scottish (aside: Why isn't it Scotch?) origin and my last name is of French origin. Who's going to believe that a noble French family united with lowland Scots? Fortunately Americans don't think about that sort of thing and it wouldn't occur to them until hours later, after I've slept with their women and gone. So I could probably get away with it if I could just get people to introduce me as Mr. So & So. Doesn't happen very often I'm afraid.

2) Blog talley from Sunday- 1:41:1, although the jury is still out on the first 1. I'll let you know.

Ahh, screw the rest...just trivial crap like registering for Spring classes (STILL can't take a class in Mandarin Chinese due to schedule conflicts), having dinner at an Irish pub with a couple of astronauts singing on stage, bumping into the mayor at the mall, and I have yet to work "booboisie" (aside: read Mencken) into a conversation.

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

But registering for spring classes is truly the highlight of the year.

I've watched the one scenario on PBS show where people lived as if they were Homesteaders in America. It was darn funny. One family brought a distillery and another family raised moral objections. It was great. The couple that raised moral objections ended up getting divorced I think. Great show.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

Damn, I forgot what I was going to say.... Oh , if you combined my father's last name and my mother's I would have an Irish-French name. And BOOBOISIE!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home