Wednesday, August 03, 2005

What the heck

Regis knows I wasn't going to write, but I've been slack with the tell so I'd better update. Ev'rything 'membered, ev'rything straight...
I know I said no more secrets, but...
So the interview last week with the IT recruiter went fairly well. I was told there were a number of positions available at more money than I was expecting. I took a computerized 'skills assessment' and did horribly (in my mind) only to be told that it was about average, and considering I haven't touched a server in over 2 years and don't have any formal training it was pretty admirable. Told to get in touch with another guy at the firm and stuff would start happening, which I did and it hasn't. Admittedly I haven't been pestering him, but I've been preoccupied. Still, there's a pretty good chance of them finding at least a contract position for me in the near future.
The site-meter was never a secret,
The second interview, referred to in Thursday's post, occurred Monday afternoon. It went better than the first, mostly because the interviewers didn't know anything about IT and didn't poke holes in my illusion of expertise (jazz hands!). Less money than I want for doing IT (though still more than I'm making now) but a small, friendly office would be pleasant enough for the short term. The only problem would be if they sensed that I'd be bored on or around Day 2. I wouldn't be surprised if they call me back Friday or Monday to offer it to me, not that I know what my answer will be. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if I never hear back from them. My experience has been that employers feel no obligation to be civil to job applicants.
I just made it white so it wouldn't be a 'status' symbol, good or bad.
The third interview, which has yet to be scheduled is really the job I want. Non-IT, non-coldcalling/insurance sales, a huge salary (actually, not important), and all sorts of continuing education training benefits. The guy said "send me an email if you still want to set up an interview" which I did, and he didn't. So I reminded him today that I'm still interested and everyone else in town wants to hire me so we need to meet soon. Of course I said it with more tact than that (because I'm nothing if not tacky ... wait, no) so we'll see.
I know I've mentioned interesting searches. Pay attention!
Summer school is over as of tomorrow night. I know, big whoop. I have yet to register for fall classes which start on the 22nd. I know, big whoop. My computer is just about back to normal except for a few little apps here & there, cookies, & whatnot. The 47G of mp3s are safe. I know...

11 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

YOU LIIIIED TO MEEEE!!!

that's OK. keeping finger and toes crossed for you.

ouch!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Sass said...

Keep at it - your bound to find something enjoyable to fill your time.

What was that balance thing?

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Allie said...

hi.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

ESC- How do you type with crossed fingers?

Sass- Being bound is only enjoyable with the right kind of company. We may need a safe word.

Al- OKRA!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

painfully.


ouch!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

And how do you know about safe words Mr. TinyBIGhands??? Hmmmmm???

Good luck with your job search.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

Good luck! You will have to come down when we open the restaurant, I'll buy you a beer.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Cookies!

Ahem.

Yeah, thought you wanted a non-IT position?

At any rate, glad things are happening.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Nanna: Cable. (Double entendre at your own risk. No lifeguard on duty.)

Bright-One: I'll definitely be there. If I come alone I might need you to be my date. Sorry Trav.

KTp: That's correct, I don't want an IT position but the universe has made it clear that it isn't up to me what direction my life takes.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

hooo-ray! we start school on the same day! at least someone else can be miserable with me!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

47 G?


dork.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home