Thursday, June 15, 2006

Get ready little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast*

If this is the summer doldrums, I'm not going to make it until the autumn, and it's not even summer yet. I'm not just talking about the heat, I mean the hiring cycles that many companies seem to go through. I can only burn so many days at the mall, even though I love the pianists at Neiman's. I can only take so many naps. I can only watch so much TV. I can only eat so many tots.

I think I am going to get out of here. Next week I'm getting in the car and driving somewhere else. I don't know where I'm going, though either New Orleans or Corpus Christi are high on the list. I know I'm not going as far as Chicago, my original road-trip destination, but I am freaking the fuck out and blowing this pop stand.

It's gotten to the point where I'm not really sleeping anymore. Last week was really bad, so I did what I usually do and turned on the TV. I watched The Terminal. Some interesting things in that movie, such as a beautiful woman who loves a man who is both figuratively and literally a reject. Ultimately the beautiful woman rejects the nice guy and goes back to the guy who cheats on his wife. Interesting life-art convergence there. Fortunately Full Metal Jacket was on after that and I slept like a baby.

I'm not sure how this figures into it, but I dreamt about my ex-wife a few nights ago. I should point out that I don't remember most of my dreams, so I guess the fact that I still remember this one is significant. Also, my dreams aren't usually anything like watching TV, with a plot and/or dialogue. Many of my dreams aren't even linear, skipping around the action from one idea to another. And always in black & white. But anyway, the theme of this particular dream was just holding her tightly in my arms, seated upright in my big leather chair. Nothing sexual about it, which isn't odd because I never even had sexual dreams about her when we were together. Of course, I woke up depressed and had to come up with a punchline in case I decided to retell the story to someone else. In the retold version I am still holding her ... underwater.

*Double-extra-bonus points (and my admiration, or some shit like that) if you know who said that.

13 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Allie said...

my own little OUTLAW is going on a road trip.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

love the piano players at neiman's...that's something i would love too. that and the air-conditioned mall.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Google is a good friend. Lone Watie? Link

I'm sorry you're having the doldrums. Bleh. Maybe a road trip's just what you need. Course there is the gas prices.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Mimi- Points awarded

Amanda- I don't know about your Neiman's, but the pianist at mine is right next to the shoe department. That way I can listen AND watch.

J- You can't Google it, that's cheating! Besides, Allie beat you to it (though I'm willing to consider that the time difference makes it a close second) Now you have to watch that movie, if you haven't already.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

It's NOT cheating. You didn't say, "No using google." So there. It wasn't in the written rules. Unwritten rules don't count.

Is the movie any good? Hrm. I have to go google that now.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

And you can't go edit your post to say "no googling." Don't even try that. :P

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Now I'm curious where you're going! Sounds like so much fun.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

Was WV high on the list? No, I didn't think so. I don't know the quote but I like it.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger jungle jane said...

my god this unemployment thing is just so full on.

the car thing sounds like a great idea. follow your nose - it might find you somewhere prosperous.

thats what i'm doing - in less than 4 weeks i am on a plane to london to seek a better life. doing something - albeit risky - seems so much better than doldrums...

go for it, tinyhands...

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

J- Feh! Googling is never allowed. You know that. You're not fooling anyone, trying to play all innocent-like.

Kristin- I was leaning towards Corpus until the CBS story on the "country's most uncomfortable cities" (even more humid than Houston!) in which it was in the top 3.

Peach- Too far to drive. :( The movie is The Outlaw Josey Wales, a Clint Eastwood classic. Highly recommended.

Janey- I can be packed in less than 2 hours if you want to stop-over and pick me up.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

You could always come down to Clear Lake and spend a weekend with us. Probably not the most entertaining weekend getaway, but the food is excellent : )

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger tonia said...

i second what Brighton said. I could use some good tiny hands time.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Chicago won't be the same without you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home