Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Avoid over-inflating Tinyhands

It was a pretty ordinary day in the life. I ran some errands at lunch time, killed an hour or two online shopping for a new harddrive (mine claims to be failing, I think it's just lazy), had a light supper and went for a walk. I had the opportunity to listen to the new Dixie Chicks album yesterday and I loaded it into the mp3 player for tonight's walk. I don't really consider myself a DC fan, and I don't really even like country music, but it makes for good walking music. The way I figure, country music is mostly enjoyed by white people, who have genetically-deficient rhythm DNA. Country music has a very steady beat, making it easy for the poor white folks (that's poor in the 'flawed' sense, as I don't wish to cast aspersions about their economic status, that would be prejudiced) to follow along while dancing. Thus, good walking music. And actually, there's a couple of songs that I kind of like.

Say what you will about their politics (actually, don't) but if you criticize the Dixie Chicks for saying out loud what they believe, and sticking to their principles despite the hailstorm of shit it brought down on them, then you're either the tallyman (the afghanwhigistan guys who tally me banana) or a member of el queso.

The evening walk was nice. I used to walk around the neighborhood a lot. Then it got really cold over the winter (low 60s) and I slacked-off. Now that it's warm again (low 90s) I'm getting back to my routine. Sometimes, though not as often as I'd like, as soon as I step out the door I start writing. Tonight was one of those nights, although this is not what I wrote. As I walked along, music in my ears, I wrote what I hope will eventually be the forward to a book. When I got home about an hour later I sat down at the computer and typed it all out.

6 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Allie said...

as you well know, i love the chicks. but i don't consider myself a country music fan, but i think their music is more just plain good music that country music.

and come walk mike, he'd love a late night walk. and he'll EAT anyone who messes with you.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

Dixie Chicks have a right, indeed. But, serious lack of grace to refrain from running at the mouth in another country. Plus the nerve to remake FM's Landslide. But, yeah, they have the right.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

As long as I'm not criticized for sticking to my principles when it comes to the Dixie Chicks...

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Mimi- Mike's good people.

1L- I'm not entirely convinced it's a question of grace, per se, but it did seem to be rather tasteless pandering.

Z- Of course not, and I know you would never unilaterally decide yours was the only opinion worth having.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I'm not a die hard Dixie Chicks fan, but I do enjoy their music. Personally I didn't see the need for the uproar (radio stations banning their records, burning their CDs, hate mail, etc) over comments they made...diagree or agree, it seemed like overkill to me. I do like that their new song is not a nicey-nice apology.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

lol! We don't know each other well enough, do we?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home