Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Do not leave Tinyhands unattended

It must be the crash after the party, everyone going home and reminiscing about how much fun it was to get together. I don't get to go out (with others) very often, so it was as much a treat for me as those who got to make an actual vacation out of the weekend, packing a bag, getting on a plane, etc. And I really enjoyed myself, even though I wasn't sure if I would, and I say that not because of the other attendees but my own inclination (aside: Thesaurus recommended 'penchant' but I can't use that word without thinking of Dr. Evil describing his father having a penchant for buggery.) towards being alone and having no choice but to like it. But after the party, I'm stuck with a song in my head:
People say I'm the life of the party 'cause I tell a joke or two. Although I might be laughin' loud and hearty, deep inside I'm blue.
And of course the best way to get a song out of your head is to give it to someone else, thus firmly implanting it in his or her head. Although you've now taken that burden off my hands (sucker!) there's still the matter of a frequent comment I received, in person and online: Why am I single? I wish I had a glib, witty (see also: clever) answer for you, but I don't. I don't want to go into a whole public introspection thing here, as tempting as it may be. It's something to which I've given a lot of thought over the past few days and I'm far from done. I used to think I had a good answer (or at least several mediocre answers that added up to one decent one) but I'm not so sure anymore. I've had a few people (read: angry women) try to tell me why, so if you think you know it's probably best if you keep it to yourself. I've got to figure it out on my own.

♪ = Tracks of My Tears, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, 1965

10 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

You just need to meet someone whose quirks are compatible with yours. And your quirks are compatible with hers. That's all love really is, you know. It's all about the quirks.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Brighton said...

I'm sorry if I focused on the single thing too much, it just seems incredible to me that a guy like you could even BE single! You know I love you just the way you are : )

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

it's just because you haven't met the one yet. duh.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

J- I love the way you make it sound so improbable. ;)

Brighton- It wasn't just you, hon. It's about time I came up with an answer.

Crystal- Yes, but who can I blame it on and/or sue? I'm thinking of going after the oil companies.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Shuttin' up now and zippin' da lip. We still think you rock our panties off!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger TheTart said...

"TH rocks the blog meet in Houston." I saw this headline on ABC World News Tonight & on CNN, natch!

Smooch,
The Tart
; )

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

The ways of the ninja can be difficult and lonely sometimes, young one.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

Like so many things, give it time. Allow that time. Life does not work on our desires. I'm just saying...

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Kristin- With a little help from my friends Sr Patron & the Grey Goose.

Joss- Yep, the paparazzi dogged me at my favorite burrito hut today.

Jeth- Like a foot-long accupuncture needle, that's deep man.

1L- I can buy the part about time, but I'm not convinced about the desire. Without desire, what good is life? Surely you desire as well.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

I think I wrote to you what I needed to say to myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home