Thursday, April 20, 2006

Recently

I had about a 2 hour tear-up yesterday. I didn't realize it until today, but yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of my de-marriage. No, the tears weren't over that, I was watching My Life on cable. That movie gets me in just the right spot, a combination of sad story, happiness, and self-pity. I hadn't seen it in years but I remembered all the bits that always get me. Especially when, after he should already be dead, he gives thanks for being around to see the birth of his son. That really gets me. I had forgotten that the role of the Chinese healer is played by Dr. Haing S. Ngor, who is best remembered for his Oscar winning role in The Killing Fields, another movie that reduces me to tears every.damn.time. I had also forgotten how EXCEPTIONALLY bad Nicole Kidman's acting is in this movie. Seriously, she almost ruins the film in several scenes. I liked her in both Dead Calm and Malice, but I'm tired of cutting and pasting the links, so look them up on your own.

So yeah, I admit (once again) that I'm capable of crying. Not all the time though, and not all that easily, so I'm not some soggy pansy. I think I've long ago given up the fantasy that what passes for my masculinity will somehow psychically reach Alessandra Ambrosio and she'll show up here ready to settle down and start a family. (And yes, due to the restraining order, psychic powers would be required.) But in case there are any other beautiful women out there willing to break the cycle of dating doctors, lawyers, and minor European royals feel free to look me up. (There is SO much more I could say on that subject, but I won't.)

I suppose I should somehow mark the anniversary of my de-marriage. In case you're new here, I've taken to calling myself de-married instead of divorced since the breakup wasn't that big of a deal. I really hate the word divorced too. It sounds so negative and dysfunctional, regardless of how well negative and dysfunctional describe me. We split up our stuff, paid some lawyers a couple thou, and whammo - no longer married. I haven't spoken to the plaintiff in months, and I think our last communication was actually a text message. Yes, I think about her from time to time and no, it's not all bad. I suppose I'll always have those unanswered "what if" questions, but I usually manage to rather successfully avoid asking them. But, wherever she is, let her be. Happy belated anniversary, darling.

16 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hate the word "divorce", too. Carries waaaay too much social stigma. You'd think with over half the population doing it, a better word would emerge.

Well, I guess it has!

De-marriage or de-married are great modern substitutes. Well done.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger TheTart said...

Hmmmmm, more of the TH mystery unfolds.

Ya know you keep sharing like this and you are gonna have bunches of Tarts knocking at your door. Move over Allessadra, TH is OURS! Guys who emote online & fess to a tear or 2 ... sheesh, just what the Tarts are looking 4. ; )

Hmmm, so, back on track here... what's going on in Houston today? Hm?

Friday smooch,
The Tart
; )

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I never liked your Ex.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

JR- Stigma, forever "labelled." Exactly.

Tart- That's easy to say when you're 4 hours away. I dare you to say that to my face. ;)
[Today in Houston- Finally some rain and relief from the heat. Maybe burritos on the patio.]

ikeMay- Aww, THANKS buddy!

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger TheTart said...

Hmmmmmmm, TARTS do not take dares lightly DUDE. Hmmmm?

Just 4 hours or via SWA 1 hour? ; )

Meantime, UR portrait: GoHatGo

Travel smooches,
The Tart

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Careful, Tart, TH loves stalkers...

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger TheTart said...

Kate, thanks 4 the tip!

TH -o,o-

Silly smooch,
The Tart

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

kTp- You mean I love to stalk. :P

Tart- Dare: There's a Houston blogmeet scheduled for 5 May (details Bright-one?). We have other out-of-towners flying in, so just send me your flight information...

Nice picture...at least the guy with all the hands on him is smiling.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Stalk, invite stranger (not strange) women into your home, it's all the same.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Wow. A couple of thou. You must have had a lot of stuff. my ex and I only had to split two hundred dollars.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger TheTart said...

Details-Bright one? Am I un-bright? -o,0-

BTW, are all the strange women (not strange) staying at UR place? To be stalked or to stalk. TH harem on May 5? True?

Smooch,
The Daring Tart

Pssssssst. Kate, what else should all Tarts know about TH?

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

ktP- I haven't stalked you in a while, but I'm still considering that roadtrip.

Gary- Actually I wound up doing most of the work. The lawyers just made it 'official' and sent me the bill.

Tart- Sorry, "Bright-one" referred to 'Brighton' one of the blogmeet co-hostesses. So no, no one is staying with me (that I know of). Not that I wouldn't offer to sleep on the couch for a Tarty guest, of course.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger tonia said...

Are we meeting at Brighton's restaurant? I'd like that since it's five minutes away...
And, I say "we" like I've been invited.

If it's okay, I'd like to help you put "demarried" into the common vernacular. Much better than "the d-word", which is what I use.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

I cry at that movie too.
Happy De-Marriage.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Offer's still open.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Sorry, Tart, I'm unable to share more details under punishment of death.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home