Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The depths

I love the water. Swimming, diving, skiing, snorkeling. Anything and everything, freedom from gravity and the bounds of the earth. I've only been scuba diving once, and though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I prefer snorkeling and free diving. True free diving, as practiced by professionals, is a difficult and dangerous sport, requiring a lot of preparation and concentration. A single breath is the only equipment required, though a mask and fins definitely help. I've never competed, but I have my own records. Descending to the depths is painful, as is the long slow climb back up, but the journey is always worth it.

7 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

a la Fezzik, "i only dog paddle"

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger lucidkim said...

for some reason all i can think of is: so. you like to go down?

:)

kim

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

#3moo- Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Kim- As with most hobbies, I never seem to get enough practice.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I have never done any diving. That free diving, though, sounds like tremendous fun. I makes it more of a sport than scuba.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the water and swimming, too.

I was too claustrophobic to enjoy scuba diving. Something about the mask, the suit, and shark stories... I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger lucidkim said...

:)

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Gary- Though I enjoyed scuba, it was far too much of a "production".

JR- My ex-wife hated it. For her, it was looking up to see how far under the water she was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home