Monday, April 24, 2006

Serving Size: 1 Tinyhands

The thing that kind of sucks is that people are a work-in-progress. It would be nice if we could pick one up, like a book, and flip to the back to see how it's going to end. Who in their right mind would buy a book missing the last half, last chapter, or even the last page? But we do it with people all the time.

The next time you pick up a book, and hopefully it will be an interesting one, try to enjoy the fact that you don't know what's going to happen next. If you find yourself able to too easily predict the outcome of subplots and incidents, set it down and find another. Perhaps a friend, or even a stranger, can recommend one you hadn't considered.
If earth was heaven, and now was hence,
And past was present, and false was true,
There might be some sense
But I'd be in suspense
For on such a pretense
You wouldn't be you.
-E. E. Cummings, "If"

9 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Sass said...

oh boy, i think you're in my head. I recently told someone, "this is going to end badly" and sure enough he was the cheater i knew he was.

we all need more unpredictability.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

You're like, all deep and stuff.

It's a good look for you.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger TheTart said...

Great poem!

So 'the book' ? What's the story here. No pun intended, just curious. Don't mean to pry, but would appreciate a good real life story since my weekend bout with food poisoning. Still trying to keep fm passing out until MD appt today at 2:30. ; o

Quesy smooch,
The Tart

BTW... forgive me, no energy to spellcheck. ; l

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

I used to read ahead in those "choose your own adventure" books to see what the consequences were BEFORE I made my decisions.

That would be very handy to have in life.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Sass: Cheat? On you? At first I thought that was fiction, but your horror story is a true crime. You'll find your fantasy and a lifetime romance. Keep writing your own story.

Ktp: Who knew?

Tart: I'm afraid I don't have the energy for the whole autobiography as I too am sick. Most of what you need to know is scattered across the archives. Sorry, feel better.

ESC: I never in a bazillion years would have guessed that about you. ;)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger TheTart said...

OK! I will happily wander amongst UR archieves 4 clues.

I hope U feel better. Drink lotsa fluids if that is appropriate. : )

Big get well hug,
The Tart

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

p.s. it's e.e. cummings


he felt that only GOD and things relating to, should be capitalized.



a friendly PSA from your favorite #3moo

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Love this post. It is giving me ideas.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

personally, i thank god i get to be a work in progress. i wouldn't be happy staying stagnant...with all those neuroses!

but, i agree, i want to know people's best selves...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home