Sunday, July 09, 2006

Do You Want To Know A Secret

Among the many things you don't know about me is that, although I worked in I/T for many years, my undergraduate degree is in Mechanical Technology with a concentration in Manufacturing Systems. In plain english, I have a B.S. in Shop. For the record, I was in shop before shop was cool, before all the Monster Trucker/Chopper/Hot Rod/Pimp My Pinto shows were on. I also hated Creed before it was cool to hate Creed, but I digress.

Shop is a lot sexier than most people give it credit for, and I've got a degree in it so I should be really sexy, right? Right? (Go on, validate me. You know you want to.) Among the many useful things I learned:
  • Drilling - This is one of the most common operations, with which I'm sure you're all familiar. Also related is hammer drilling, which involves repeated sharp blows and may be used when drilling a particularly hard piece of work.
  • Reaming - While not as common as drilling, this operation involves forcing a large tool through a small opening, thus widening it. Much more coarse than drilling.
  • Tapping - This finishing operation involves a tool that makes future screwing possible.
  • Grinding - This is one of the non-penetrative operations that may be used to prepare a piece for future manipulation. Also related is lapping, which puts a fine finish on the object.
  • Boring - My specialty.

8 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger tonia said...

now I'm wet...

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Oh my.

Thanks for making my Monday morning hot.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Tonia- I can't believe I totally forgot to mention lubrication!

Beth- Then maybe we should get together to discuss annealing, carburizing, and tempering (all are heat treatments). And it may have been University, but I never experimented with faggoting.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

Definitely more course than drilling.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Allie said...

which one of those are EASY?

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Z- But just as fun.

Mimi- I'll tell you this weekend. Sunday morning, to be specific.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

*drool*

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

There's nothing sexier than a man who knows how to use his tools.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home