Monday, March 20, 2006

Seven Years

Most of the time I enjoy writing at right angles to the direction of travel. Occasionally the road whips around pretty quickly and what I've written becomes suddenly parallel to reality and I begin to fear that the two will intersect. True, I've let a few of you into my reality, bits and pieces of it anyway, but I don't have to tell you what a comfort anonimity can be in my line of work. (Like a warm blanket.) And now you're wondering, which way has the road turned this time? In your direction, though not necessarily to you.

I see you struggling. I want to throw you a line, but I know you'd never reach out to me for it. I think I know you better than you'd like to admit and yet we're total strangers. It's a little funny to me, the idea of a familiar stranger, but that's the way I think sometimes. I apologize if you see yourself here and it makes you uncomfortable. I've gotten into trouble in the past by posting conversations or snippets of conversations. The funny thing is that I've gotten into trouble even when I keep the other party anonymous. So realize that if you see yourself here and don't want anyone to know, you don't have to say anything. Someone else might think it's her (or him, but that will be unlikely in a minute). After all, I read a LOT of blogs, so there's always room for doubt. Heck, you probably won't even read this, so I don't have to worry about it.

But know that I worry about you too. I kind of enjoy it, since it makes me feel somehow useful to a life in which I'm just a familiar stranger. So ask, and it's yours.

♪ Spinning, laughing, dancing to her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
Is all alone

Eyes wide open
Always hoping for the sun
And she'll sing her song to anyone that comes along

Fragile as a leaf in autumn
Just fallin' to the ground
Without a sound

Crooked little smile on her face
Tells a tale of grace
That's all her own

Fragile as a leaf in autumn
Just fallin' to the ground
Without a sound

Spinning, laughing, dancing to her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
And she's all alone ♪
- L. Alexander (recorded by N. Jones)

8 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Sass said...

You do what you need to do and write what you want. THis is your little spot in the universe to let it out. And keep on twirling her in you mind.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I like the way your mind works. You simply fascinate me, right angles and all. :)

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Sass: Good point. Both of 'em.

KCTL: If it's not a right angle, it's a wrong angle.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger TheTart said...

Beautiful song...great words, natch!

BTW... you had me at my FUN-knees. So come on over while I spin to the ground & join me at the BOARDWALK...it's dark... so you won't even know you are outside...SAFE!

Why.."tiny hands"?

Smooch,
The Tart

Ps. Please worry... so I don't have too. ; )

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

i think it's beautiful to feel useful in the light of helping or being there for someone else. just don't lose yourself in your altruism.

great writing.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger TheTart said...

Hey baby...on my way spinnin down...I'm danc'in. Just a danc'in leaf!

Come join me, you might find yourself drawn in, natch!

SMooch,
The Tart

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Amanda- Unrequited friendship currently only occupies a couple hours a day on my calendar. It's under control. ;)

Tart- Dance on, dancer.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Fuzzy- I'd love to take credit for the song, but I've already attributed it. Thanks though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home