Wednesday, March 08, 2006

This is the interesting entry

Lord help me if I could think of anything to say. It was too windy to take pictures out of doors, always a good fallback for writer's block, and I'm too honest to post something old and pass it off as new. I've got LOTS of stuff in the notebook, and I'm adding more and more every day, I just haven't been in the mood to feel like sharing it with you.

Some of the stuff from my notebook is now too old to even qualify as current events. Example: "I'm glad the NBA All-Star hoopla has died down, so we (Houstonians) can go back to not giving a shit where Eva Longoria was spotted."

I heard on the radio this afternoon that they arrested a couple of kids in the Alabama church arson case. If I heard correctly, they said the first couple were just a joke, then the others were to confuse authorities. Umm, I'm confused at the first one. A joke? Like a knock-knock or a dirty limerick? I guess they're going for the insanity defense.

I recently broke my glasses. Well, a screw that holds one of the nosepads came out and disappeared into the carpet. Like a good engineer, I reattached the nosepad not with a paperclip but with a 1cm bit of twist-tie. (And my trusty needle-nose vice-grip pliers. God I love those things.)

There was a career-fair recently at school, as there is every semester. The translation of career-fair for you foreigneurs (don't you put an extra-u in that word too?) is that a number of companies set up booths in an auditorium while students/prospective employees go from booth to booth handing out resumés (translation: CV). It's generally pretty fruitless, since you spend at most 2 minutes talking to someone who probably doesn't know what specific opportunities exist at his own company while your resumé goes into a pile to either be shredded or entered into a database that no one ever accesses again. However, when you're looking for a job you do anything and everything you can.

I was suddenly aware that my interviewing abilities may have atrophied a bit. I'm pretty sure I walked up to at least one booth/potential employer and instead of shaking hands I may have given him either a bip (bumping fists one atop the other) or a dap (punching knuckles). Not exactly business etiquette, but then neither is the section labelled skillz on my resumé.

10 Comments:

At 3:27 AM, Blogger jungle jane said...

have my job tinyhands. i am very tired of it - the 14 hour day 7 day weeks are most annoying...

you can have My Cat too - damn beast has fleas...

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger lucidkim said...

funny funny man - i love that bip and bap - perhaps if you added a flair like a nerdy man from the 70s, i'm thinking leisure suit dude, where you could make both hands into pretend guns and do the pow-pow-pow maneuver and with the last one just leave your 'gun' pointing at the person instead of shaking hands. yes. definitely THIS technique will land you a job. keep me posted. kim

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I'm curious to know what's under the 'skillz' section...

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Janey- Which kitty is that? Angus or Malcolm?

Kim- "added flair like a nerdy man"?? You make it sound like that wouldn't be cool.

KCTL- How you doin?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger boo said...

hehe... mad skillz... i like that... is one of them... hangin?...

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

Mad skillz babe, mad skillz. At least you got your face out there. And I love needle-nose pliers, love 'em!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Guess if I'm going to have section on my resume labelled 'mad skillz' I might as well have one labelled 'props' too, for all those time (intentionally singular) I was employee of the month.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger tonia said...

"mad skillz" was my first reaction, too...get it right, or you'll never get the love.
and, jane, Advantage is great stuff...Pet stores have it or get it cheap at the local feed store!

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I really feel like I'm out of the loop. I didn't even know about that knuckle knocking thing until recently. It seems a little silly to me. But then, shaking hands probably seems silly to some 'foreigneurs'.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Interviews in the US sound like insane processes to me, from what I've read. The aim seems to be to hire someone who is good at interviews.

The best interview I ever had was for my first university teaching position here. I was ushered into the Dean's office, we shook hands, and he handed me the job contract to sign. I signed it, he signed it, and then he interviewed me. It was very confusing.

I found out later that my job was a kind of tit for tat thing (I was the tit). Hiring me was a favour for the person who'd recommended me, in return for a favour she was supposed to do for him but hadn't yet. Actually she'd forgotten, but I was able to pick up enough clues for The Man to decipher what was going on, and reminded her.

I've worked/am working at about eight different Japanese universities, and only at one did I have a 'proper' interview. At least they went through the whole process... but I strongly suspect that in that case it was who I knew that counted, too, because there were some FAR more qualified people there and I can't think of any other reason they hired me over them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home