Thursday, May 05, 2005

A day in a week in a month in a year in the life of...

I think it's funny how we sometimes envy other people. Sometimes it's something specific- his car, her job, their house- other times you can't put a finger on it. You think it would just be better to be that person. Of course it's sometimes no big deal to the object of your envy. It seems like that would make it worse, that they might not care about what you value, but I don't think it necessarily does. I've got no real point here...

I went to the Hong Kong Market yesterday, and to the regular grocery store today. Fresh cilantro, sprouts, snow peas, oyster sauce. Garlic, lots of garlic. I was expecting company and, though I wasn't planning anything specific, it never hurts to be prepared. I thought she might come around lunch time, but I ate alone. I got a call around 4pm that she wasn't coming at all. "I'll take you out next time." Yeah, I suppose so. I wasn't sitting around waiting by the phone by any stretch of the imagination, but I still feel taken for granted. I'll feel this way until the next time she comes over, and then all will be forgiven. (No, not through sexual favors, I just can't hold a grudge.) I continue to believe, however, that I have no right to any hurt feelings. Right or wrong, I still expect to justify my emotions.

I like to browse the online personals and it got me thinking about "the market." How some people come on the market and others are taken off the market. Part of it is a timing thing. At any moment in time there are people in the market trying to make a match. Some need to be more patient than others. I occasionally mark a "favorite" here or there, and watch over the weeks or months as that person slowly goes longer and longer between logins. I wonder how analogous it actually is to the stock market- buyers and sellers trying to match up for the right price. (I don't know if y'all know this specifically, but the stock market only works if there's a buyer for each seller. There's not some magical entity there artificially moving numbers around. It really is as simple as it sounds.) Some experts say you can't and therefore shouldn't try to time the market. That if you're going to be in it, be in it and over the long term you'll come out ahead when you pull out. Other experts disregard timing and say they can pick individuals better than someone else. My dad plays the indexes. I'm not sure how that relates to love, so if you figure it out let me know.

Spent a few hours (hopefully) cheering up a hottie this evening playing DJ from my music collection. Funny that as I was doing that, another friend was sending me samples of music she loves. Very cool.

8 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

If music be the food of love...

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Hooch said...

I think you have a right to be upset... people can get busy, but a phone call only takes, literally, a minute. To leave you sitting there for 4 hours is pretty shoddy, in my books.

I'm glad you had friends to make your evening far more enjoyable.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger boo said...

I can't be arsed with... holding grudes either!... but i liked your "theory"? on dating...

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Allie said...

that hottie was a lucky girl. playing dj takes a lot of work ... lucky girl indeed.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger me said...

i'll bet the friend who sent the music she loved was hot, too. super hot. flaaaaaming.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

Good insider information is all you need.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Ape- If only it were that easy [I'd be on a plane to RI ;) ]

Z- Mmmm, muuuusic.

Hooch- I wasn't sitting around, and my day wasn't ruined.

Boo- It may soon be time to call in a broker.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Allie - Nah, she knows I'm the lucky one for getting to know her.

ブレベン - Flaming? Uh oh.

Jethro - And a good lawyer.

Walshco - Please reread, as I take full responsibility for my own feelings and don't actually blame anyone else. They're my feelings after all. Thanks for being a good friend to her though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home