Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ode to My Dictionary

I love dictionaries. I used to read the dictionary for fun and I once bought an encyclopedic dictionary for even more reading fun. That there are several good dictionaries online makes me happy. Giddy.

gid·dy
adj. gid·di·er, gid·di·est
1.
a-Having a reeling, lightheaded sensation; dizzy.
b-Causing or capable of causing dizziness: a giddy climb to the topmast.
2. Frivolous and lighthearted; flighty. (Yeah, that sounds about right.)

pant
v. pant·ed, pant·ing, pants
v. intr.
1. To breathe rapidly in short gasps, as after exertion.
2. To beat loudly or heavily; throb or pulsate.
3. To give off loud puffs, especially while moving.
4. To long demonstratively; yearn: was panting for a chance to play.

#4 is interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of that particular definition before. I do a lot of that, longing demonstratively, that is. Maybe I shouldn't, or at least maybe I should give it up for Lent. I've already said that I'm not terribly religious at the moment, but I did consciously abstain from meat today and I didn't have any sweets. Habit I guess, which isn't a very good reason for a quasi-religious observance. Better than nothing I suppose.

I don't know if I could really give up yearning for Lent though. I saw the pretty Chinese girl at school today and there was much yearning (on my part only, I'm quite sure) so I've already blown it after all of 18 hours. To a lot of Catholics I know, once you've broken your resolution you don't have to bother keeping it for the rest of Lent. I'm not saying they're very good Catholics.

Well, here goes, I'm going to try to give up pants for the remainder of Lent.
I might keep doing #2 though.

12 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Hooch said...

All right... I have to, yet again, be the one to go for the obvious gag.

If a yearning and pantless tinyhands (and I'm going NOWHERE near the words 'throbbing' and 'pulsating')doesn't make an impression on the PCG, then nothing will!! (probably will make an impression on the judge though) :)

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

TH, this was quite amusing. Both hypothetically and rhetorically.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Have you really not come across definition #4 before? I thought it was quite common, so maybe it's one of those US/UK English things.

It always makes me think of a dog. When you pant, remember your tongue should be OUT.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

April- Nope, Valentine's Day (or as I heard Ryan Seacrest call it, "Singles Awareness Day") isn't until Monday. You still have time to prepare.

Hooch- I'll drink to that. Let's hope it's the RIGHT kind of impression.

KtP- So the flashing is still hypothetical? You know where to change me if you find your mind.

Theic- I think of a dog panting too, but I don't associate that with yearning. I sort of expected you to provide the (primarily) UK definition of 'pants' as undergarment as opposed to trousers. Suddenly I'm reminded of your wintery static electricity problem. :)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

i'm so glad that more people on jumping on the pantsless bandwagon with me. thanks for your support for the cause, TH! maybe someday we will live in a society in which pants are completely obsolete and we run around with nekkid legs in joy! ("pants" of course, does include other articles such as skirts, shorts, etc. basically anything that goes on the lower part of your body and extends beyond the underwear line.)

as homer once said, "Don't you hate pants?!"

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Tasty said...

Hey Tex. First, let me to admit publicly that I'm dangerously close to falling for you due to your love of dictionaries. They make me giddy; no exaggeration. Second, the word "pant" meaning "to yearn" can be found in Psalm 42:1. "As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Does anyone else think it's wrong that someone named Tasty Stacey is quoting the bible?

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

this is spooky. i, too have a love for dictionaries AND phone books when i get a little too bored. yikes.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

TH, I think I'm going to see Toothpick downtown next week. I'll update you on how it is if I end up going.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Adrianne- It's not hard to get me to support any cause involving nekkidness.

Stacey- Psalm 42, eh? Must be why I've never heard of it, heathen than I am.

KtP- Wrong, no. Deliciously ironic, getting warmer.

Inky- I don't love dictionaries just when I'm bored, but I've never been SO bored as to read the phone book. Although now I'll probably try it since you've implanted the idea, devil woman.

Katey Bear- Sugar sugar, my my my, just can't get you out my mind. Someone told me, "Take your time" but I can't wait until you're mine.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Every day and every night, girl, I watch you turn your lights down.

I SO need to go see him. You're welcome to come with. :)

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

Do chaps count as pants?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home