Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Completely uninspired

Damn, 11:59 already.
I've got Shake a Tailfeather (Blues Brothers) and Makin' It (David Naughton) on endless repeat and still no inspiration. I'm even doing the Tailfeather dance scene here in my chair. d'Oh!

I had a great dream the other night. Badaunt suggested I write down a couple words as soon as I awoke so that I wouldn't forget it. I woke up and remembered that she said that, but I was too lazy to get out of bed. I laid there for a few minutes and repeated it over and over to myself, confident that I'd remember, due to my superior brain power. Yeah, I forgot.

Pantsless Wednesday, huh? I'm worried that we're going to have time-zone issues, what with readers from GMT +10 to GMT -8. We might need some sort of coordinated signal. I'll have one of my production assistants work on it. They're just interns, they never appear on camera, and I don't have to pay them anyway. Real world problems are just the kind of experience they need.

Oh, I have to say something about Mardi Gras, even though it's now over for most of you. (And these observations are from the perspective of my liberal Catholic upbringing. Your mileage may vary.) Just about everyone knows that Mardi Gras means "Fat Tuesday" and marks the last celebration before the beginning of Lent. I think most people know that Lent is the 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter, which is supposed to be observed by fasting on Fridays (or at least abstaining from meat). Traditionally, Catholics also give up some additional minor vice (such as sweets or alcohol) every day, in addition to meatless Fridays. What I don't get is why some people think it's ok to celebrate Mardi Gras without observing the associated abstention of Lent. Of course, I'm not referring to you, wonderful God-fearing people, but the heathens I see on TV. I mean, isn't that like celebrating Christmas without recognizing the birth of Jesus? Oh yeah, they do that too. Ok, how about celebrating Easter without recognizing the resurrection. Hmm, another bad example. Since when is it OK to pick and choose religious observations without accepting or rejecting the whole bundle? Especially only choosing the parties without taking the responsibility of the meaning or rationale behind them. Since I'm still semi-officially faithless, I'm undecided as to what I'm personally going to do as far as religious observation for these next few weeks. That shouldn't prohibit me in any way from pointing out other people's flaws.

I'm going to go burn some incense just because it smells nice.

9 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I fasted the day before yesterday, at least until 6.30pm. This was because I got suddenly busy and forgot to eat. Then I got a strange pain in my tummy and worried for a while until I realized that it was probably hunger.

Does that count? Do I have to be religious for it to count. And count for what?

Re the dreaming thing: I TOLD YOU SO. Also, writing down a couple of words does not involve getting up if you keep a notebook and pen beside the bed. You're supposed to be prepared.

Bad, bad boy scout.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

i actually heard a girl say this when i was in high school

"ok, so Jesus died for my sins, i think i can totally give up Cheetos for Lent"


i am not lying.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

I'm presbyterian. Less guilt, fancier clothes. Though we still get smeared with ashes mixed with oil tonight. I celebrated mardi gras by...staying home and watching TV. Oh, and Kev made a spicey chicken and rice dish. woohoo!

I'm not planning on giving up anything. We're supposed to set aside 15 minutes a day for quiet meditation and prayer, usually in the morning. Yeah, right. If I wake up in the morning, close my eyes, and try to meditate, I will fall ASLEEP!

So I'm a bad christian. Weeeee!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Theic- It only has to count if you're going to take part in the debauchery half of the equation. I'm tempted to ask what sort of debauchery you'd be part of in the first place, but I'll save that question for another time.

You did tell me so and I'm a terrible person for not listening. I remembered last night's dream without aid- taking a taxi ride from one end of Beijing to another. Boring I remember.

#3tx- Well, it's the thought that counts. And I get the feeling thoughts were pretty scarce in that head, so it's extra special.

ESC- As long as you're not having the celebration without the penitence you're good in my book (which counts for SO much, I realize). Spicy chicken doesn't exactly require contrition. Tums maybe. And doing something 'good' every day is just as good as not doing something bad, so you're still good. ;)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Well, I just learned something new. I did not know that Mardi Gras meant Fat Tuesday. :)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

I would celebrate Mardi Gras cuz that would be an excuse to flash. And I like flashing.

I would not, however, give up something, because I'm not good and holy like that.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Whoever suggested pantless (pantsless? hmm...) Wednesdays should give up pants for Lent. Ha, that would be so funny.

Or maybe it wouldn't funny at all. I don't know anymore.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I took care of the debauchery part when I was in my 20s. I have a lot of debauchery to make up for. The scales are still pretty well tipped down on the debauchery side of things.

(And no, I'm not going to tell you the details, but I can tell you that it's good to have memories. Mmmm...)

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Jeanette- I really should be more careful when I write things like "everybody knows" ... didn't mean to insult, just in case.

KtP- You don't need an excuse my dear, come sit by me.

Bonnie Heather- Depends on which definition you're talking about. I plan on giving up short, rapid gasps of air. And you're right, that's not funny at all.

Theic- That's exactly what the 20s are for. But sometimes it's better not to have the accompanying memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home