Tuesday, February 01, 2005

5 more reasons to hate Montəll Williαms

ARGH! I so don't want to complain about the petty shit that happens in my life, but as there's nothing else...It was a cold and miserable day here, and I spent a great deal of time rubbing bits of me against other bits of me trying to keep warm.

Regardless of whatever else I say or write, I actually have a very open belief system. I'm perfectly willing to let you believe whatever makes you tingly. Just don't expect me to buy it and we'll get along fine. That said, one of the curry-smelling dorks in my class tonight (we'll call him Stinky) was reading the horoscopes in the paper and he kept saying to me, "Oh man, that's totally me!" I wasn't buying it but he was very insistent and quite offensive smelling to my western nose. End of story. Guess I didn't need to go through the trouble of setting that up and naming the character and everything. Oh well.

I ordered my textbooks 2 weeks ago and 50% of my order was wrong. So I sent them an email explaining that it was a pretty sorry way of doing business and that as a FIRST step in fixing the problem they could send me a gift certificate to one of their competitors, one who charges more but I know does a better job than 50%. Of course I got the form letter reply that they would refund my money, but they weren't in the habit of giving out gift certificates to their competitors. To which I replied that I know they're not in the habit of doing it, but I'm in the hole without my books all because I trusted them. I also upped the amount of the gift certificate it would take to make me happy and insisted that they escalate the problem to someone with the authority to do more than send me a form letter. I don't actually believe that they'll buy me off like that, but what have I got to lose?

I went and walked at the mall today. Warm and dry seemed preferable to cold and wet and what do you know, I was right. However, the little old ladies powerwalking the mall were looking at me and I just felt so dirty.

Went to class from the mall and had to get off the freeway. Cold and wet means the flow of traffic goes in the opposite direction, so I was never going to get there. Drove through construction that reminded me of a Cambodian mine field but actually arrived early. I went to the computer lab to print out my notes and had to fight for a computer. Some kid walked in- yes, ahead of me- and set down his backpack and then walked off. He didn't log in, he just put his backpack on a chair and walked out of the lab. No savies! I pushed his backpack aside and proceeded to log in, while his friends at the adjacent computers called me every profane name they knew, which was really just 'asshole'. I printed out my notes and was logged off in less than a minute, long before their friend returned. I asked one if all the cursing was worth it but didn't wait around for a reply. Another one had walked away from her computer, towards the door, so as I was leaving I told her I hope she feels better, also not waiting for a reply. I did nothing wrong and I was totally in the right, but I still feel bad about the whole conflict and it'll probably keep me up tonight. I don't get it- I'm nearly twice as old as those children and I don't care what they think about me. They don't know me, I don't know them. Why the hell can't I let it go?

11 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Who (or what) is Montell Williams?

I hope you get your gift certificates. The Man does stuff like that. He used to have a collection of apology letters, but I think he lost it. It'll be around here somewhere, though.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

TH, I love how you stood up for yourself. I'm the kind to think the nasty thoughts (like did it really matter that I used the computer in your friend's absence, in no way bothering him one iota?) but never say them. Instead, I glare a lot. Way to go.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger se7en said...

dude, you are way to nice, i would have told the creeps to shut up and mind their own business and stayed just long enough for the backpack guy to return and annoy him that you took "his" spot and then left. I wouldn't have cursed them but I wouldn't have been very polite either. I applaud you however for doing it the way you did, I wouldn't have had that much restraint lol it's not worth losing sleep over. what creeps like that think, you did nothing wrong, you feel bad because it hurts you that people have that kind of attitude.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Mike said...

The fact that they don't know you and you don't know them doesn't change the fact that it bothers you when:
1) People think ill of you
2) You think you MIGHT have done something wrong.

Well, you can't control what people think and you didn't do anything wrong. That being said, I offer you a modicum of sympathy. There there.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Theic- Montell Williams is a trained killer (no lie!) who decided he'd rather host an American TV chat-show that prefers to focus on the dark side of humanity such as teens that dress like whores or moms who dress like whores or whores that dress like whores. (Except of course, it's 'hos' because thats what those wacky kids say these days.) He's well-educated (Naval Academy), smart, and handsome and could probably still do something useful with his life if it ever occurs to him.

KtP- I usually don't say or do anything either, maybe that's what got me so amped up.

Lucky 7- I think you're DoB correct about just feeling bad that kids today are so ready to jump to anger without getting all the facts. Good call. The first thing we're learning in my negotiations class is how to consider the other point of view and not look at him/her as an opponent. Not all negotiations are necessarily conflicts.

Mike- Thanks, just keep Nose away from me.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Tasty said...

Pretty much what Mike said, that's what. Part of being a positive part of society is being conscious of what others think. I get that. Especially if you were that kid who hated being in trouble as much as I did. Part of that just never wears off! :-)

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Yeah, I hate those stupid college kids. Oh, wait...

Seriously, though, my peers drive me insane. I mean, I go to a good school; it's elite in its own right. We're all smart people here, and we're all adults. But for some reason, we still feel the need to snicker at people who dress differently or give the wrong answer in class. Oh, wait, I do that, too...Crap. Guess I'm just one of those stupid kids.

Oh, well. At least I have impeccable grammar skills, which is more than I can say for most people my age...and older...

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Some people thrive on conflict, some people don't. I'm one of those who finds conflict draining. Just give it time, it'll ease out of your mind. :)

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

shut up!


you were a mall walker.

*snort*

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

It really shouldn't bother you. Their opinions really don't mean anything. They cannot be taken seriously until they give up that behavior, so you don't have anything to worry about.

And hasn't the weather been miserable?

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Stacey- Yeah, and I was in trouble a lot.

Bonnie Heather- I bet you could impress Nile with those grammar skills, hint hint.

Jeanette- Conflict of any kind gets my heart rate and blood pressure up, in a bad way. I need to learn to deal with that better or I'll stroke out in a meeting.

#3tx- Hey, it's not like I swear the spandex pants, legwarmers, and t-shirt. Just the pants.

Z- I'm still cold but at least it's stopped that piddly raining. I don't know what I'd do if it got below 40-degrees here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home