Thursday, January 27, 2005

Music Edition

I almost didn't blog tonight, and well, technically I haven't published this yet, so...I don't know, I'm just not terribly motivated at the moment. I think I'm either doing too little or too many other mind-numbing things in my daily life and it's sapping my creativity. I went for a burrito at lunch, but it hasn't provided any more blog-fodder than this solitary sentence.

So I'll go back to music. There's been (yet ANOTHER!) questionnaire floating around, and while I won't answer it completely, I thought for grins I would see how many music files I have on my computer: 7468. Hmm, I guess I like to collect music. I haven't always, and it's quiet here now as I type this, but a few years ago (WAY behind the initial popularity of mp3s) I started ripping my CDs to my harddrive. The primary reason is stupid and too personal for this blog, so ask me in person, but now I have over 40G of music (if you include the comedy albums and an audiobook I'll probably never listen to) on my computer. So what are some of my recent acquisitions and what am I enjoying listening to? In no particular order...

Michael Bublé, Michael Bublé -- A well-done album of American standards. Michael has a nice voice and the album isn't overly produced. Sing along if you know the words.

Julian Bream, Spanish Guitar Recital -- This is classical guitar, not to be confused with flamenco or modern Spanish music. Think Segovia, except more technically proficient. Don't get me wrong, Segovia is still God.

Minnie Driver, Everything I've Got in My Pocket -- From a technical/musical standpoint, this is a fine album and Minnie has chops. In case you didn't know, she was a lounge singer and fronted a rock band long before she was an actress. Still, I can't take it seriously either and have only listened to it once.

The Killers, Hot Fuss -- I got this album on the recommendation of my ex-wife, who generally likes the same stuff I do (in terms of rock/rock & roll). However, this is shit. Pure rubbish. It sounds like a high school Cure cover-band recorded at a gas station. (Which makes sense why it was recommended, since my ex- likes The Cure and I think they're shit too. Bitch.)

Johannes Linstead, Guitarra Del Fuego -- Now this is flamenco, as opposed to the classical guitar previously discussed. I don't have any other pure flamenco in my library, but I have had major a Spanish tendency creeping in lately (i.e. From Bream & Segovia to Los Lonely Boys, Steve Stevens, etc.). I wonder what's going on subconsciously there.

Various Artists, 50 First Dates OST -- I was skeptical of this movie at first, because let's face it Adam Sandler does not have a great track record. But it's been on HBO this month so I watched it. The movie is pretty good, but the soundtrack really jumped out at me. It's primarily 80s covers (Hold Me Now, Lips Like Sugar, Every Breath You Take, etc.) but with an island rhythm (since the movie is set in Hawaii). I don't usually go for soundtracks, but I dig this one.

Toothpick, Drive Easy -- Oh alright, give Katey Bear credit for this one. She mentioned it in an entry a few days ago and it got subliminally implanted, so when I came across it I picked it up. How to describe? Uncle Kracker & Eminem vs. Sugar Ray & Ben Harper in a tag-team cage match refereed by Sublime. I don't know, I just made that up. It's cool stuff though and will definitely go into the changer in my car.

Yo-Yo Ma, Classic Yo-Yo -- I really don't have a lot of classical music in my library, but Yo-Yo Ma is such a master of the cello, how could I not have at least one of his CDs?

18 Comments:

At 3:56 AM, Blogger Siôn said...

At last! Someone else that thinks that The Killers are shite. I've been saying this for months but nobody listens to me.
However, I must disagree about Adam Sandler - there's some quality in his previous movies if you know where to look (Waterboy, Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore etc...)

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Yay! I feel so cool right now. Seriously. It's like, my opinion carries weight or something. :)

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Allie said...

what you reallyl NEED is the new Al Green box set. it's a guarenteed panty flinger.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

NHK (National Broadcasting) had a Silk Road documentary series on the other day that I caught a bit of, and the one I saw was about the music for the series, which was written by Yo-Yo Ma. He was working with different musicians and instruments from the Silk Road, and it was FABULOUS. Apparently they'll be putting the whole series into English for overseas sales at some point. Look out for it.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Siôn- No no, I'm not saying that ALL of Sandler's movies are crap, but a few were (Little Nicky & I hated The Waterboy).

Katey Bear- Bask in it while it lasts. :)

Al- If you don't mind, I'll keep my panties on for now. It's COLD!

Theic- Sounds cool. My old man knows people at NHK, I'll see if I can't get the "real" version.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

you've been commenting at my place for awhile now, and I'm wracked with guilt that I have not commented back!

GUILT I TELL YOU, GUILT!

That, and I wanted to say that i must be a musical reject, because I don't have any of those cds.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

The thought of you being cold inside your panties causes a strange reaction for me. I can't define it properly, but it's there and it is strange.

And I don't have any of those cd's either. I've basically stopped listening to anything but classical, bluegrass, and folk tunes.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Regan/ESC- Well we've got a lot of the same friends so I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about. ;)

Z- The only folk/bluegrass in my library is Nickel Creek, which I heart. I almost made a crack about you trying to picture me wearing nothing but panties and Drakkar, but I'll lay off...for a few days ;)

All- My only reason for posting about music is to share the ideas. As a music lover, I LOVE to find a new album or artist. And as KtP knows, it feels really good to introduce someone else to something that they like. I'm the same way with restaurants- I love taking someone to a place that becomes that person's new favorite. If you want to hear samples of just about anything, including the above, www.allmusic.com is a pretty slick site.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger me said...

I think you might like Criolinha by Fantcha. It's been in my car- and in heavy rotaion- for months now.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger me said...

Zelda, have you ever heard of Josh Rouse? I think you might like some of his music, which is kind of folksy-Nashville-pop-twangy sort of sounding. (I graduated from middle school- honest.)

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

I wanna see how many times I can get my named mentioned on your blog. Comply.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

Tiny - That's two and a half. I'm keeping score.

Me - I'll have to check him out. Thanks for the tip.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

TH, will you drop me a line when you get a chance?

Thanks

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

umm, mr. hands?

this post left a lot to be desired. please bring back the funny.

like mommer always said,
"if you dont have anything funny to say, then don't say anything at all."

signed,
#3 SC/TX

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

BourbonBabe- I looked into Fantcha and I don't think she's quite my taste. The 'morna' style is just too sad for me. I'm ok with you listening to it though. You have my blessing.

KtP- I'm so glad we took that discussion to email. That sort of thing is FAR to private to share with the likes of these people.

#3tx- If I think of any ice-machine related stories *yawn* I'll be sure to punch them up for you.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

ok new topic please...hurry up and type tiny!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger me said...

"Morna style" is questionable, at best. It's a very up CD that I have played during alcohol binges/parties and no one has ever tried to off themselves in my washroom. Although, my neighbor’s place is just filthy enough to hide any evidence of an attempted suicide...

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

aww, you're just jealous...




















cuz its the beastie boys.




(you know you sung it)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home