Monday, August 29, 2005

N/A

If you were here you'd understand. Then again, maybe you wouldn't. Maybe you'd just do that thing like when you're talking to a dog and she cocks her head to the side in puzzled wonder at the variety of sounds you're able to make. I'd demonstrate, but I slept funny and my neck is killing me, so use your imagination.

I spent the weekend with family, my grandmother's 80th birthday. Lot's of people I'm related to in one way or another, just don't ask me who's who. It's best if I just grab the wall, stay out of the way, and take pictures. I did give a little bit of a toast - "Here's to the reason we're all here: free booze. But seriously. You know, the Chinese have a saying. I don't speak Chinese though, so it doesn't make any damn sense..." - Otherwise the nephews and cousins just climbed all over me like I'm a piece of playground equipment. Maybe that's why I'm in pain today. My 9-year-old cousin, the sweet girl I babysat a few weeks ago, loves 2 things in life: Sitting on my shoulders (whether I enable/allow her to do so or not) and screaming directly into my ear. God forbid I try to prevent her from doing either one, grandmother yells at me for such behaviour.

I may have some homeless relatives after Katrina came through. I have a lot of family in the New Orleans area, most of whom were not at home this weekend due to the birthday party. By the time the storm zeroed in on New Orleans it was too late for them to get back into the city to board up their homes and secure their possessions. It's too early to tell whether or not there's anything for them to go home to.

I'm going to go take a handful of pills...

7 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Blogger Esther said...

The green pills or the red ones? ;)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

and by "pills" you mean tic-tacs?

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

Best of luck to your New Orleans family.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I hope there is something for the New Orleans families to go back too...at least they weren't there.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

wondered why you've been MIA - I figured your computer was down again.

maybe you have a future in portable children's playground equipment - a one man jungle gym. You can rent yourself out for $20 an hour.

I'll keep your new orleans family in my prayers.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Allie said...

hope the fam is ok ... and hope your neck gets better - i still say the cute chinese girl might be able to help.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Sheez. What a weekend. You know, sometimes I misread things and I misread the word "wall" to read "will" and I thought for a moment how funny that was. To grab the will.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family members and all those who are wondering if they'll have a home anymore. That's so scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home