Tuesday, August 16, 2005

It was

It was a good hair day. Don't believe me? Just ask LaVonica and Chevelle down at Colonel Chicken. (We can't afford that! Enjoy it, it might be our last.) And while you're down there, find out why I didn't get my biscuits. It says right on the sign- "Chicken and biscuits" (emphasis mine). True, I need a hairscut and I'm planning to go Friday, but that's no reason to withhold the flaky buttery goodness. Going Friday gives the hairs the weekend to settle down before school resumes and a full week before grandmother's birthday party. Ahh, I'm already looking forward to my Persian goddess (the stylist, not grandmother, sicko). Conditioner? Why not.

It was a hit song a long time ago but I still like it. I've finally gotten to the age where I just don't get what the kids these days are listening to. I'm not quite to the point where I'm outside yelling at the kids to get off my lawn (lack of a lawn helps) but I definitely roll my eyes when the kids come rolling up to the stoplight with something blaring out of the sound system. I don't like it, but it's not offensive to me. Actually, I think it's kind of funny, like a joke. But it's a little frightening to recognize the beginnings of "out-of-touch". Even my 9 year-old cousin is becoming "cooler" than I am (of course, the kids don't say "cool" anymore, I'm sure they have a new code word that they don't use in my presence). So I ask questions like "Who is Mike Jones?" and she responds "Who is Mike Jones?" This goes on for about 30 minutes, then I need a nap.

It was warm today. At least I felt warm all day. It rained a good bit in the late morning/early afternoon and stayed overcast which I'm sure kept the temperature down a bit. Still, I couldn't shake the stuffy feeling. I kept myself well-lubricated with iced tea (say with your best Forrest Gump voice- "Ah lahk sweet tay.") to no avail. Even now, as I've switched to my favorite sports drink [Ed. note: Name withheld] I can't get entirely comfortable. Such is summer. Some pray for rain, I pray for November.

It was a long evening. The afternoon was long too, sped along in the company of someone with a dirty mind, which is always really cool. I particularly enjoyed the bit where a coworker walked up behind her. I then spent the evening in the company of two of my best gals (they like being called 'gals' - shut up) which normally means it's over all too quickly (and not that kind of over too quickly either, sicko) but we talked about all manner of things. A little verbal berating about my love life from one while the other painted me a picture. Balance. I managed to avoid thinking about my latest crush, well until just now that I've written that. Damn, and there's no take-backs with memories either.

14 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

I didn't know who Mike Jones was until like 3 days ago, when a friend told me. So don't worry--at 22, I'm feeling out of the loop.

Also, sweet tea is the grossest contraption known to man and in the North, we certainly wouldn't condone it. It would never go well with Tater Tot Hotdish.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Allie said...

i know i had something excellent to say until my eyes were burned out of their socket with the evilness towards the sweet tea.

it is the house wine of the south ya know .... but when it's not available - we'll take 220,221 whatever it takes.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

Blast. I was thinking that everyone knows who Mike Jones was, of course he was the lead singer of the Monkees. Um, yeah, that'd be David Jones.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Sass said...

Mike Jones - I lost all my teeth and replaced them with chrome. It's ghetto chillin.

Gag me with a spoon *now I am really showing my age with that one.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

HOT DISH???? is that what we in the south like to call a casserole? or better named, "Funeral Food?"



and on a random note.. in a parallel universe i would want tiny to be in love with me and i would be curious to see what he would write... it would all be so poetic and i'd be such a lucky girl. *sigh*

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

oh and WHO the F is mike jones?



there is even a website called whomikejones.com. sad.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Aide- Suddenly I'm not feeling so bad about not having visited the north.

#3GA- "House wine of the south" - xox

DI- Can you picture Davey Jones with a platinum grill?

MoonUnit- HEB on Fountainview I saw a guy with a complete "diamond" grill. Dude couldn't have been more than 5 foot, so I guess he needed it.

#3moo- Parallel universe? Everyone in THIS one loves you.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

I'm mike jones, bitch!

;)

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

You pray for November and I'll pray for October.

And we do have sweet-tea north of Texas, we just call it Southern Tea.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger PDgirl said...

>:(

just for your sassy attitude, I'ma go make me some TTHD and eat every last damn tot!

oh that's right. be jealous. be insanely jealous.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

ESC- Which is it- Mike Jones or bitch?

KCTL- Split the difference and I'll meet you on October 16th.

Aide- Why do I feel LUCKY you've taught me this lesson?

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

hater.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

Hmmm. Careful, you just might be onto something there.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

16 Oct it is...

You head north, I'll head south and we can meet in OKC. You bring the sweet tea, I'll bring the boots.;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home