Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Dump

I'm just going to dump on you today, because we're friends and we sometimes do that. You're a good listener when I need to dump on someone, well... [pointing] not so much you, and certainly not [pointing again] you either. But definitely, for the most part, the rest of you are merely adequate.

[But first: Thanks for the prayers/well-wishes about my family. I don't know any more than you do at this point, and we all know it doesn't look good. There's a good chance my 2nd cousin lost both of her stores in addition to her and her mother's houses. As for my aunt, I haven't seen any news reports about the northshore suburbs, but considering the damage to the causeway & I-10 bridges...]

I'm not happy with school this semester, and I spend too much damn money on this not to be happy. I'm taking 3 classes this semester, and having been to each of them at least once, I can say I'm only interested in one of them. Of the two "international" courses, one professor has issued a blanket-prohibition against term papers about China or Japan. Hello? The other international course is apparently (despite the catalog description) going to focus on the international aspects of energy markets, of which I know nothing, in which I have no interest. That leaves the one remaining class with the only foreign professor of the three, whom I should dislike for being a foreigner (this being Texas and all) but I don't. He's cool.

So there's that, and then I did a bad thing on my drive home tonight- I gave in to road rage and cut off another motorist. Coming off the freeway the sign reads, "Do not cross double-white lines" which extend for 30 yards or so past the off-ramp. Like the good driver I am, I signal but do not cross the double-white lines. The car behind me however dives across the lanes as soon as possible and begins to pass me, once the double-white lines end and I begin to get over, forcing me to slow down for him. He honks, I honks. We both turn onto the surface street from the feeder but end up in different lanes. Now he realizes he needs to turn again, requiring him to be in my lane. This time I speed up, forcing him to slow down to get behind me. And then I slowed down, slowing him down further. No, I'm not proud. He would have been well within his rights to shoot at me (this being Texas and all), assuming I hadn't shot him first.

Hmm, that's enough dumping for tonight. I could dump relationship stuff, but I see your eyes starting to glaze over. I'm going to go take a handful of pills...

9 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

That's awful about your cousin. If the storm didn't get her stores, the looters sure will.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Sass said...

we're here for your dumping anytime.

My thoughts and prayers with you and your family

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

It truly does suck when you don't like the professor or the class. When faced with that, I just try to remind myself that I can't get a full refund and that I'd better just suck it up. (Okay, so that doesn't really help, I know, but it's the best I could pull out this morning.) What does the one prof have against The Orient, anyway?

Your family will continue to be in my thoughts. I was in tears watching the news this morning...the devastation is unfathomable.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Z- They might as well. She said something about insurance not covering in the event of flood, which I'm sure they'll consider this.

Sass- Sweet! There's always something to complain about.

KCTL- I don't know what his issue is, maybe I should actually read the syllabus & course materials.

Fuzzy- You had me at "little" Explorer ;)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

**hug**

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

thats why i want to keep a whiteboard in my truck.



"BACK THE FUCK OFF!"
"it's called a turn SIGNAL, use it!"
"go ahead, cut me off, i dare you"
"you say road rage, i say target practice"

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

Did the prof explain WHY no China or Japan? seems a bit racist to meee....

SURELY there's no racism in texas!

(hehehe..nougat)

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

International course that won't allow papers on China and Japan?? Weird. Maybe he wants a paper on Omaha...

Sorry about your family- hope you hear something soon.

Road rage, a given in Houston.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Aide: Rightbackatcha ;)

#3moo: I'm ascared.

Fuzzy: Ok, I can get on-board with that one.

ESC: I don't know, I need to read the course materials.

Bright-one: I've been trying VERY hard not to give in to road rage, despite it being the rule instead of the exception. I try to repeat my "mantra" that being first at the light just isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home