Friday, June 10, 2005

FYI

It's the weekend, and judging by past weekends this will hardly get read but that's not exactly the point. The point is that I'm still breathing ... and eating, sleeping, and every other bodily function. Ok, most of 'em. I haven't gone out to the garage and started up the car with the garage door closed but, as I'm fond of saying, the day ain't over yet. I am trying so hard not to think about her, but I say "goodnight" to her when I turn out the lights and then mentally tuck her in. It's my version of saying my prayers at night. If she'd just come and find me she'd know all this and we could get on with the getting on. Nevermind.

Summer school is harder than I had counted on, and I'm glad I didn't sign up for the second class I'd be taking right now. It's not 'technically' hard, but it's 4 hours a night in a freezing cold classroom twice a week. I've got 250 pages to read and write a book report on by Wednesday, an essay to read & report on for Monday, plus the regular textbook chapters to keep up with. And I am terminally unemployable. What's that you say? You've got troubles in your life too? I thought I was the only one.

I make the world's best sausage pizza though. Come get a slice, there's extra.


Rise up this mornin'
Smiled with the risin' sun
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true
Sayin' "This is my message to you:"
Singin' "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright."
Singing "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright."

-Three Little Birds, Bob Marley


Update: As of 1:30pm local time, the pizza is gone. If you're coming, let me know and I'll bake another one fresh for you. It's better fresh anyway.

14 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Sorry. I'm off sausage at the moment.

What is it that makes you unemployable? (I'm not snarking. I'm genuinely curious.)

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Allie said...

sweet boy.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Sorry TH, thought I told you I was in Madison for the weekend.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

Mmm, pizza...I'm booking my flight.

And I feel you on the unemployable business. As the "Perpetually Fired for Random and Obscure Reasons Girl" I know the pain of being outof a job.

Hope you feel better.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

Mmmmm...I made sausage pizza last night...with artichokes!

Oh, you're complaining about one class? Oh...gee...sorry I can't sympathize, as I am starting my 7TH FUCKING YEAR OF GRAD SCHOOL! and my parents want to know when I'm graduating so I can start "real" life. Bleah!

And don't do that thing with the car in the garage. It wastes gas, and you know how expensive gas is. So better to hang around your computer and post stuff. ;)

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Theic- Yes, I saw that. Bad timing on my part. If I knew what I was doing wrong I could fix it, but employers here don't respond to applicants. AT ALL.

#1#3- Smiling.

Ktp- Everywhere but here.

Aide- 2 years. I can't take much more of this.

ESC- So graduate already. I'm not holding you back. You have my blessing.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

no...I think you ARE holding me back...like it's some conspiracy between you and my committee...and the yeast...

DAMN YOU!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I wonder how you could find out something like that? Do you have job agencies? I once went through a job agency when I was looking for a job, and they got me three interviews almost immediately. (This was in NZ, in quite a tight job market.) I wasn't qualified for any of them, but at least they specified exactly what they wanted, and you'd know (through the agency) why you were not considered suitable for a particular job. The agency gave feedback. That was good. And they charged the companies, not me.

(Actually, I have to admit - sickeningly - I was offered all three jobs I wasn't qualified for, probably because when I went for the interviews I was treating them as 'practice,' as the job agency person advised me to do. They thought I could do the jobs, and told the companies so. But I didn't think I had a chance, so treated the whole thing far more casually than I normally would. Perhaps that helped...)

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger phsymom said...

Hope things improve for you soon.


BTW - what kind of job are you looking for ... or rather what do you have experience at?

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

ESC- So go back on the yogurt.

Theic- Many advertised jobs are placed through an agency, but they always claim the volume of applicants makes responses impossible. But those are advertised jobs. I haven't found an agency that will agree to actively search for jobs on my behalf.

Phsymom- I've got a BS in Manufacturing and 6+ years in IT administration, but I'm working on my MBA to get into finance, ideally personal finance.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

I guess things are done differently in NZ, or else have changed since I was in the job market there, because that's what I thought job agencies were FOR. Finding jobs for people. I certainly wasn't very qualified for anything when they took my case on.

It sounds like everything is done for the benefit of employers, these days. What a pain in the arse that must be.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger phsymom said...

I work for a pretty decent company and we have quite a few job opportunities at this time ...

http://www.usoncology.com/CareerCenter/

good luck!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger lucidkim said...

i don't know. if you get a job you won't have time to make us pizza. and this is about us, isn't it? bake another, i'm hungry and on my way. kim

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Theic- I read an interesting opinion the other day, which I'll paraphrase: "Job agencies exist to find new jobs for people who already have jobs, because those are the ones who were already desirable to someone."

Phsymom- I've seen that employer come up in my searching before. I could be wrong, but many of the postings I've seen want someone with healthcare experience, which I don't have. I'll look closer though. Thanks.

Kim- But if I was employed, I might could afford to FedEx one to you on dry ice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home