Sunday, March 27, 2005

Ewww

I think I'm becoming a germophobe. I've noticed over the last few years that I've grown slightly more compulsive about washing my hands, and the sticky nephews have certainly accelerated that. I recently saw The Aviator and I'm happy to report that I'm not quite that bad. In fact, I don't necessarily need soap when I'm just rinsing off, but I frequently get up to just rinse my hands under running water. And yes, I do wash (with soap) everytime I make potty.

Anyhow, germophobe isn't the right word, so I went looking and quickly found Phobialist. This is my new favorite website. Let's go down the list and pick out a few:
-Misophobia: Fear of being contaminated with germs
-Spermatophobia: Fear of germs
-Verminophobia: Fear of germs

Those are obvious. How about some not so obvious:
Acarophobia, amychophobia, automysophobia, aphenphosmphobia/haphephobia/chiraptophobia, bacillophobia/bacteriophobia, blennophobia/myxophobia, molysomophobia, panthophobia, parasitophobia, pathophobia, and pediculophobia/phthiriophobia.

And that's just the ones relating to germs. If we're going to include my "quirks" we could add asymmetriphobia, ataxophobia, athazagoraphobia, coulrophobia, pnigophobia, and taphephobia. There are others, but you don't need to know about that...

Anuptaphobia.

6 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Hooch said...

Anuptaphobia... by any chance is that fear of the wedding night?

Or was it meant to be A Nut A Phobia.

*evil grin*

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Don't you find it odd that anuptaphobia is listed but not nuptaphobia?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

misophobia.... ahh... welcome to it. i have it. ask the numbers.

over the years its gotten more manageable. and its mainly touching anything public... door handles, payphones, movie seats, menus, chairs, salt and pepper shakers... etc. also i am REALLY bad about money. i HATE touching that stuff. to me its like used TP. oh yeah, i HATE shaking hands too... but sometimes i find myself the first one to offer. (but i use my hand sanitizer right after)

and the worst of it is when i eat. i cant eat unless i have just washed my hands. even the Numbers have seen me bring a paper towel on the way back from the bathroom to open doors, or touch my chair.

but its my life. and its ok. and as long as everyone understands that its part of you an loves you in spite of it, then you will be fine.


ok, have to go wash my hands now.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

Fear of being single? Pft! you can come and go as you please, don't have to pick up anyone else's underwear off the couch, spread out over the whole bed...nice.

No way you'll be single for long, though. You're so clean and germ free ;)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Tasty said...

#3TX, how come you let us make out with you, then? ;-)

I don't think I have any phobias. Hm. That's kinda neurotic.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Esther said...

That's a comprehensive list. Pretty soon they'll have to come up with a word for "fear of lists", "fear of not being able to blog" or how about "fear of forgetting your login password" ;)

Anuptaphobia, don't worry about it, as long as you don't have eurotophobia ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home