Thursday, March 17, 2005

Quickie

I'm pretty tired, so I'll just post a quickie- another snippet from my favorite book, Providence of a Sparrow:
Christmas Eve in less than two weeks. I'll sit with B in the early evening, Handel's Messiah playing on KBPS. In keeping with a tradition said to have originated with King George II, I'll rise to my feet for the Hallelujah Chorus. I never hear this music without imagining the composer's ghost walking the streets of London searching out an orchestra to conduct. There could be fates worse than pursuing in death what we loved in life. A more appealing alternative than an eternity spent in conscious disconnection from the world, from even the underrated details of living that we dismiss as chores. Longing to pee, not because we must but because the ability to do so no longer exists.
Don't let that scare you off. The book is neither focused on the metaphysical or urination, but like all of us, the author's thoughts do drift there occasionally. I just really liked that turn of phrase, "fates worse than pursuing in death..."

I spent a few hours at the park with a good friend. Everyone wants to know, is she more than a good friend? Will she ever be more than a good friend? These are not easy questions to answer. Instead I'd ask you, what's wrong with good friends? As someone with few friends to begin with, a good friend is a cherished item indeed. A bit of my precious (a la Gollum) to horde and hide away perhaps. Well, not so much mine. Quite the contrast to the mediocre friends populating most of the rest of my address book. Granted, they're still friends which isn't nothing, but few guys would hold hands and stroll through the park with me, let alone coo over the baby ducks. (Pictures of said baby ducks can be found here, in the "Hermann Park" album- the last 4 pictures.)

8 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Tasty said...

You're so right. I'm having trouble finding a guy to hold my hand and walk in the park; they seem to be real pre-occupied with my pants for some reason.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

ooo the ducks are adorable.

and here, here to the friends thing!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

yay for ducks! and yay for good friends!

have fun with your friend, holding hands and cooing at ducks. and please post more pictures of ducks. we demand all ducks, all the time

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

Personally, not a fan of the ducks. However, I would be remiss if I did not say that holding hands with you and walking in a park (or a parking garage) sounds delightful.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Allie said...

quack.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Tasty- Am I the only one not wearing pants?

Aide/ESC- The geese were pretty too, but I didn't photograph them.

ktP- I would never walk through a parking garage with someone who didn't like ducks.

Al- That's what THEY said but I didn't believe it.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

Uh, TH, I think we long ago established that I am hardly, if ever, wearing pants and that hoefully, everyone else will hop on the Pantless Bandwagon...I'm still holding out for Pantless Wednesday to be added alongside Casual Fridays

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

You're a good man tinyhands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home