Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Tiny adventure in the Big Apple

I expected the guy from Dateline NBC to jump out from behind the door when we arrived at Beth's home. You see, I met a girl online (she told me she was legal!) and flew halfway across the country to meet her. Of course, the day before I was to fly was when the big winter front passed through town and dumped 27 feet of snow [note to self: find internet reference to corroborate this] on the midwest. Fortunately the weather was nice at home, but high winds in the Tristate area delayed my flight by about 2 hours. Somewhere over the last few years I became a nervous traveller. Strike that, I'm a nervous person to begin with. The delays at the airport only added to my anxiety. Fortunately I feel completely at ease with Beth and was soon my normal (don't laugh!) self.

Rather than give a play-by-play of my vacation, which you can soon read over on Beth's blog, I'll leave you with a few quick notes:

1) New York City is a tough town, exactly as it is portrayed on television and on film. To be safe, I treated it as one would do on the first day at a prison and shanked the biggest, meanest looking dude on the subway. Nobody fucked with me after that.

2) Holy CRAP it gets cold there! I live in Texas where lows in the 60s are described as "frigid" and people drive like there's ice on the road. Thursday morning it was so cold (1 degree-F) that Beth and I had to cut open a bum and crawl inside for warmth. And you thought they smelled bad on the outside.

3) I saw countless, priceless works of art in some truly staggering museums. I saw the Statue of Liberty up close and touched the storied halls on Ellis Island. I strolled through Central Park, saw the NYC Ballet, and ate at the Russian Tea Room. Some of those memories are already fading. What I remember most were gloved hands with intertwined fingers, shared bites from each other's plates to the tune of the Vince Guaraldi Trio, laughter, and kisses.

Please see the pictures, via the link to your right (my left) in the album, NYC- December 2006.

22 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Nice pics, nice memories.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

and where are the pictures of you??

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Jack- True story

Crystal- I didn't take a single picture of myself. Beth has a few, which she will eventually share.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Sass said...

not only is it a tough town but the Today show has done several studies on having people fall down on the street, drop things, etc. in various cities and it's always the new yorkers that win over other cities.

glad you enjoyed.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Leese said...

Any pics from Interrogation Room B?

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Sass- At first I thought it a shame that I didn't get to see or do all the things I originally wanted, but now I realize I have an excuse to go back. Well, that and the 'companionship'

Leese- Check your mailbox. The Senior Strip-Searcher and I are sending out Christmas cards.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Beth said...

What a coincidence! I met a boy online and I'm flying halfway across the country to see him! Hopefully this boy won't bitch about the cold weather as much.

:-P

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

Ok, I'm shrieking with laughter at the bum. Put 'em to use, I say.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

The bum comment? Price. Less!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Z/K- That was written on the train from Jersey City to Manhattan on the day in question (which was Friday, not Thursday- my bad) I started giggling to myself when Beth looked at me and read what I was keying into my cellphone. She added the 'Empire' line because she's a bigger (and cuter) geek than I.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Hmmm, I now realize that my contribution was just creepy.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Combined with the previous note, one might get the impression that I'm a violent person.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

I mean, I guess I enjoyed that UFC Championship match, but I was just there for the alcohol and strippers.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Being a skeezy drunk is better than a wannabe serial-killer, right?

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Yes, it's true, every time I put on my gloves I said, "If they don't fit, you must aquit."

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

What if I did it?

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Hmm...

Tex has a lady friend.

And he's letting her put pictures of him on the internet.

And he's talking to himself.

Hmm...

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... I think.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Bonnie Heather- and he knows what Monday is.

Peach- *gag*

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Heather said...

What's sad is that I read your comment at least 12 hours ago and have only just now realized myself what Monday is.

21, baby!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

If there was that much snow, did you wear your white ninja outfit?

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger TheTart said...

Romance in the Big Apple ~ delightful!

Was just there myself. Loved your photos & Beths.

Happy holidays & glad U found Beth.
Smooch,
The Tart
; *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home