Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Abandoning

No, I'm not abandoning this blog, though I admit the thought has crossed my mind. Thoughts often just cross my mind, rarely stopping or even slowing down as they pass in one ear and out the other. Considering that I haven't felt much like writing, I should put a "school zone" sign somewhere in the vicinity of a sideburn. (Then again, Houstonians can't be bothered to slow down for school zones, so there goes my whole metaphor.) No, I'm abandoning my title-schema. Too constricting.

It's not like I haven't had any thoughts though. Like most people, I was thinking about the humor in the situation of some muslims burning the Pope in effigy over his re-reading a medieval text criticizing Islam. Since the repressed (yet enlightened, go figure) peoples of the middle east aren't generally allowed access to the western press, there's no doubt that they've simply been told what to do, not understanding how damn funny it is. Since most of those people still live in the stone age, they haven't yet reached the irony age.

I also had a joke (albeit, another bad one) mulling around in my head that maybe we in the west are equally misinformed. What if all the IEDs in Iraq were just 1977 Ford Pintos and it's all a big cover-up by the Big-3 automakers? More likely, the exploding cars we see on the news aren't suicide bombers but road rage incidents, and the so-called insurgents are just ordinary citizens tired of driving behind someone with his turn signal on. But you can see why I haven't been so insensitive as to publicly write those things.

Everybody have fun tonight, everybody Wangchuck tonight!Know your World Leaders:
Continuing my previous series, I'd like to introduce to you today His Highness Jigme Singye Wangchuck, King of Bhutan. If you're like most people, you had to look up Bhutan on a map. (If you're like me, you had to look it up more than once and zoom way the hell out.)

Not only does His Highness cut a dashing figure in his bathrobe, he is also the Dragon King. If you search the web (Ed. note: A series of tubes) you will find that he is the ACTUAL Dragon King, since Onaga is just a fictional character. (Sorry nerds, Mortal Kombat isn't real. Neither are the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or male-friendly lesbians) I'll let you read the rest of the biography yourself, but I want to encourage you to follow the link to and read the article on Gross National Happiness. This is not to be confused with the western ideal of national happiness through being gross. It's also worth pointing out that this man should be a hero to all men, scoring not just two sisters, but (count 'em) four.

6 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I think this sign is more effective. But I always thought that was a mean thing to say about the children in our neighborhood.

Four women, eh? It's good to be the king.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Jack said...

So you post a picture of the Dolly Lommah instead of the four sisters.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Beth- At least the ice cream truck in my neighborhood instructs parents to 'Caution Children' about the dangers of frozen treats sold from a van.

Jack- Not having seen the sisters/queens myself, I have a sneaking suspicion I did you a favor.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Brighton said...

Hey, J and Z and the gang are getting together tonight in Clear Lake- if you want to come out and play : )

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

Yeah. Come on out and play.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

HANDS!!!!!

hi.

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home