Sunday, January 29, 2006

Taken up

Of all the synonyms for mooning, I think that's the one I prefer. I'm okay with lost in and rapt, but they're a distant second and third. I don't really care for absorbed, immersed, obsessed, or spellbound. I'll have to get back to you on bemused though. But mooning was the word someone used on me the other day and it just rubbed me wrong. I mean, no offense taken or anything, but if I'm going to have that particular feeling I just don't want it described in that word when there are so many better ones. I almost always have the thesaurus open when I write, whether for school or you, so I hope you'll appreciate the care with which I write. (As well as my new compulsion in which I refuse to end a sentence in a preposition.)

But even taken up doesn't describe my current state of mind. Forgive me if I write with someone specific in mind, but it occurred to me a few nights ago that this is the longest we've ever been apart. For as long as we've lived, and the miles that have at times separated us, I could always count on seeing you again. I'm a bit worried that the last time I saw you, or the last time we spoke, will have been the last time. I don't generally have trouble moving on, when faced without other options, but this one is really tough. I just don't have closure with you, nor do I want it.

I haven't given a book or music report in some time, though I've continued to read as much as always, as well as finding new music to enjoy. This passage, though not remotely indicative of the book (since it was largely written by someone else, and the book is actually very funny), is from The Know-It-All, One man's humble quest to become the smartest person in the world:
Consider Lord Macaulay's essay on Samuel Johnson, which contained passages like this one, about Johnson's depression: "The light from heaven shone on him indeed, but not in a direct line, or with its own pure spendour. The rays had to struggle through a disturbing medium; they reached him refracted, dulled and discoloured by the thick gloom which had settled on his soul, and, though they might be sufficiently clear to guide him, were too dim to cheer him." The man could write.
p. 81

7 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger lucidkim said...

I'm feeling rather like Samuel Johnson today - great quote, describes it perfectly. I wouldn't care for "mooning" either but probably more than "obsessed." Have you read this month's Nat'l Geographic - story on Love? Interesting. kim

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Kim- Haven't seen the article. I'll have to look it up.

Fuzzy- a) I already said it didn't bother me, and b) I didn't use the person's name so he/she wouldn't get "cranky and need to be pinched".

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I think I prefer absorbed.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

What a wonderful quote!! "Obsessed" doesn't do much for me, but "taken up" reminds me of what my Mom did when my pants were too big around the waist.

Perhaps, enchanted?

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

MOONING?

Americans are weird. Why would you want to drop your pants and flash your bum cheeks at someone you love?

No... wait.

Don't answer that.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

That book is a surprisingly fun read! Mooning... Pining?

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger boo said...

I expect it is the venus retrograde... that is causing... this taken up feeling... it makes us think of old lovers... and get closure... or start again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home