Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Look

I doubt I was the first person to come up with this, but I came by it honestly, so forgive me if I've stolen this from you:

If you can't laugh at yourself, post it on the web so that others can have a laugh.
That said, I admit I'm pretty vain. It goes with my whole preppy leitmotif. I really only leave the house 3, maybe 4 days a week now, so the remaining 3 days aren't exactly my best. It's not uncommon for me to shave Wednesday before class, then not shave again until Monday before class. Not because I don't like to shave but because there's no point. Personal hygiene is never compromised, as I always brush my teeth 1st thing in the morning and I eventually shower. However, if I have to leave the house, I will be showered, shorn, & shiny before doing so. So it was quite the surprise to me too when I went to the market Sunday evening, unshaven, wearing a baseball hat (because my hair was ungelled), and wearing my glasses instead of contacts. The only time I wear a baseball cap is when I'm mowing the yard, and I haven't had a yard in over a year now. Dressed in ratty jeans, a ratty shirt, and my ratty sneakers, I don't know what I was thinking going out in public like that. You would not have recognized me, even if you knew what I'm supposed to look like. What makes it all the more implausible is that I got the look from both the deli-counter girl and the girl sacking my frozen pizza and Godiva ice cream. Not that I'm interested in the 17-year-old mother of 2 sacking my groceries, but it's still nice to get the look from time to time, you know?

Naturally I'm now questioning my whole preppy theme, since it clearly doesn't work on the opposite sex. I'll have to throw out my 8 pair of shoes (not including sandals and sneakers) to get some flip flops. Might as well toss the matching belts (only 5). In lieu of chinos I'll have to get some Old Navy drawstring pants and shorts (no belts). I've already got some crummy t-shirts, including one with Chairman Mao and one that says "I'm with Stupid" in Chinese, but I guess I'll need more. As long as I'm buying crappy pants, I might as well get some crappy shirts from O.N. to replace my Polo collection. Ladies, what am I missing? (besides how you all could go for this stuff)

18 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

I like the scruffy look personally. Jethro is hopelessy put together and looks fabulous in clothes, but when he comes in from doing the lawn and hasn't shaved is when I give him the old eye. Go figure.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Kate the Peon said...

A goatee or beard.

Duh.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

The clothes are irrelevant (unless they're TOTALLY naff). The fastest way into a woman's underpan...I mean HEART - is through her funnybone.

All you have to do is make her laugh.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I've never seen the look you speak of. What exactly does it look like?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger evilsciencechick said...

A guitar case strapped to you. And a poetry notebook.

hippie.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

I'm "hopelessly put together" because I have to be. I also can't understand how some women go for the wifebeaters and mullets.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger boo said...

i like the look... always good... but not sure about... how you're dressing... what you feel... comfortable with.... is best...

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Z- Scruffy describes it to a T.

ktP- Of course, I was merely scruffy.

Theic- Let's hear more about getting to the underpan.

Mike- Ask your wife where babies come from.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

ESC- And a "God Bless" sign for the busy intersections?

Jeth- If I have to grow a mullet to get the ladies, screw that.

Boo- Hey, didn't know you were still here. Problem is, I'm more comfortable clean shaven with natty clothes.

David- Thanks for the kind words. You're welcome here as there's lots of marginal English from the native speakers as well. [Agradecimentos para as palavras amáveis. Você é bem-vindo aqui porque há uns lotes do inglês marginal dos altofalantes nativos também.]

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Heather said...

TH, are you sure you speak Spanish?

The scruffy look is sexy, but not if you look scruffy all the time. For example, I like it when a guy hasn't shaved for a couple days, and he has that rugged, unpolished facial hair going on, but only if he just looks like that every once in awhile.

I probably wouldn't check you out, though. Nothing personal, you're just a tidbit old for me.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Wait...Brazil...Portuguese...It all makes sense now.

I don't think you speak Portuguese either, though.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Bonnie Heather- Kind of like a guy who normally wears glasses, but puts on the contacts once or twice a month? And thanks for pointing out the age difference every couple of months. Just when the pain of the last time goes away...
And thanks for letting us watch the thought process on the Brazil/Portugese thing. ;)

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Harvard of the Midwest, baby. Harvard of the Midwest. And I've got a full ride.

I blame sleep deprivation.

It's not my fault I was born 14 years later than you. Talk to God about that one.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

To get to the underpan just check the oven. Make sure you have laid down some baking sheets first, to catch the drippings.

Or something.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Bonnie Heather- Harvard, eh? All this time I thought it was the Roxbury Community College of the Midwest. My bad.

Anniana- I'm just a tiny bit too private to post pictures of myself, but if you dig through my archives you might find a link to one in the vacation photos. Not my full-on preppy look though.

Theic- There's drippings? Oh dear. I'm much too tidy for drippings.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

oh darling, lemme splain.

when you are dressed perfectly, you look like EVERY other guy who is out there.

when you dress "comfortably" you now bring attention to yourself. chicks actually notice you. when you are the TinyHandsBot in nice ironed shirt, pressed pants, belt and shoes that match, and hair looking perfect, then you dont warrant a second look. girls can turn around 3 times and see TONS of men looking like that.

give us a reason to notice you.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Badaunt said...

You're too tidy for drippings?

Oh boy, you're going to HATE sex. I'd give up the idea if I were you.

(Perhaps you could try knitting instead.)

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger TheTart said...

Yup I converted too! It took some time to get used to. But ya know, music still sounds the same no matter what ya have on UR feet! BTW, luv my flip-flops. Like being 10 in Hawaii.

Flowers & bread crumbs, natch!
; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home