Thursday, December 13, 2007

How to see Oahu in 14 hours

It seemed a travesty to go all the way to Hawai'i and not see the island of Oahu. But I was already laying out a bunch of money just to get there and it was looking like another couple hundred for the inter-island airfare. Fortunately there was a pricewar going on just as we arrived and we scored tickets for $20! After renting a car from the world's worst car rental company (Advantage- seriously, they suck! Do not patronize them) we started with the memorial at Pearl Harbor, where there were more Japanese tourists than Americans. At least they were respectful; wish I could say the same for the Americans. From Honolulu to the west coast (with a brief stop at the pineapple plantation) at Haleiwa (below). We continued clockwise around the island and drove past the famous North Shore where the big surf competition was underway. Along the east coast with stops at a few scenic spots such as Kahana Bay (below), Kualoa park, and the Halona Blowhole. We ended the evening on the famous Waikiki beach.
Haleiwa surf Alone on the beach at Kahana Bay

To tell the truth, traffic on Oahu was pretty miserable and the weather wasn't much better. I was very happy to be back on a plane at the end of the day to the much more serene big island.

5 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Oahu can be very busy, but I'm glad you took the time to see it. :)

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

It was my fourth trip to Oahu. I wanted Beth to see it.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

Oooooh pretty! How were the American tourists disrespectful? (not that I'm surprised)

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Actually, it wasn't just the Americans. I think it was anyone who was under the age of 60 who were acting disrespectful. They were at a memorial, which to me, is the same as being at a cemetary, and yet none of them were quiet as you should be when you pay your respects.

I saw some chick pose for a picture! And not a quick little pose, but a whorish "I'm cheap and easy!" pose, for God's sake! I saw some teeny bopper ask a Pearl Harbor survivor to have her picture taken with him, like it's totally so cool to be standing next to like an old guy, ya know?

Gad! Those people pissed me off!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

The one that sticks out in my mind was the Abercrombie Zombie who spent the whole time texting. His parents would point out something and he'd look up for a second, but then go right back to his important conversation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home