Sunday, September 30, 2007

School Zone

Both of my readers have been after me to write something, even though I talk to them all the time, so there's nothing they don't already know about. Still, they bug the piss right out of me, so it's easier to capitulate and write than endure the hissy fit any longer. Here are my thoughts on the new Fall TV schedule...

Monday:
Big Bang Theory (7:30, CBS) - Nope. Watched the first episode and felt like I'd already seen it. All the "gags" were already in the promos, so the rest of the filler wasn't worth it. Also, I hate studio audiences that will laugh at anything.

Chuck (7:00, NBC) - Maybe. First episode wasn't terrible and the acting wasn't half bad. The premise is a little weak, but it's kind of funny to see them poking fun at Geek Squad/Best Buy and others. These nerds are more believable and likeable than Big Bang Theory's. I'll give it another couple of weeks.

Journeyman (9:00, NBC) - Yes. I was a little worried with the special effects that kind of suck, but I really like Kevin McKidd (Rome) and the ending of episode 1 was really good (so good, in fact, that I didn't erase it from the DVR). I just wish network execs weren't so afraid of letting a Scottish actor use his Scottish accent. Are Americans not sophisticated enough to handle it?

Tuesday:
Reaper (8:00, CW) - Probably. Whether it's all in my head or not, the influence of Kevin Smith appears to be all over this show, and I'm more than ok with that. The pilot was pretty amusing, though I didn't expect that from a show on CW.

Wednesday:
Back to You (7:00, Fox) - NO! I watched the pilot and felt really bad about myself afterwards. It's trying to be an Anchorman rip-off and fails miserably. No chemistry, no character, and another artificially enthusiastic studio audience- ICK! The only thing funny about this show is that I bet Fox spent a fortune getting Kelsey & Pat. HA!

Life (9:00, NBC) - Probably. Another British actor (Damian Lewis- Band of Brothers) disguising his accent, but this cop drama has some realistic humor too. I particularly like that he's a Zen practitioner, though I bet it irks the family values nazis who patrol television like it's their job to protect us from anything that's not evangelical Christianity.</rant> NBC has spent some money on this show though, in all the right places. Hello Fox?

Thursday:
Big Shots (9:00, ABC) - Maybe. This is basically "Desperate Executives". The pilot wasn't awful so, like Chuck, I'll give it a couple more weeks.

Friday:
Moonlight (8:00, CBS) - No. I wanted to like this cop-vampire show, but the acting is TERRIBLE and the production is pretty lame. I think they tried for a bit of a Sin City feel, but didn't go all the way, so it just sucked.

Sunday:
Tell Me You Love Me (8:00, HBO) - Yes, but I don't love the show. It's kind of uncomfortable for me, for personal reasons, to watch couples struggling with their relationships. Still, there's some good nudity & sex, so I'll keep watching.

Not yet aired:
Aliens in America (Mon, 7:30, CW) - Looks promising.
Cavemen (Tues, 7:00, ABC) - Promises to be terrible.
Carpoolers (Tues, 7:30, ABC) - Not sure how the story will last more than 1 episode.
Pushing Daisies (Wed, 7:00, ABC) - Looks very promising.

New, but not Interested:
Gossip Girl, K-Ville, Cane, Bionic Woman, Private Practice, Dirty Sexy Money

I'm Still Watching:
Heroes (Mon, 8:00, NBC)
Rules of Engagement (Mon, 8:30, CBS)
Boston Legal (Tues, 9:00, ABC)
My Name Is Earl (Thu, 7:00, NBC)
30 Rock (Thu, 7:30, NBC)
Ugly Betty (Thu, 7:00, ABC)
ER (Thu, 9:00, NBC)
Desperate Housewives (Sun, 8:00, ABC)
Brothers & Sisters (Sun, 9:00, ABC)

9 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Look at you, with the blogging and all.

Reaper was the only one of those I saw. I wasn't super impressed, but it was good enough to give it some time.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Allie said...

reaper - yes. anything kevin smith touches is gold in my world.

boston legal - yes. james spader. i mean DAMN.


that's all. as long as there's some version of law & order on somewhere, bravo, and vh1 ... i gots all the tv i need.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger me said...

i wanted to like TMYLM, but couldn't get through the first episode. kind of like John from Cincinnati, which was more disappointing than the eighteenth season of Cops.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

You do NOT talk to me all the time. Pfft. You're making stuff up again.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

ikeMay- Right, it didn't suck but there's room for improvement. BTW, your blog has been REALLY good lately. Keep it up.

Mimi- Only two shows? I question your commitment to watching TV. And you've got TiVo, for shame! *tsk tsk*

You- JfC was just weird and there was so much not to like, yet I watched it all. Cops is only fun when you can see your friends or family on it.

J- I left you a very lengthy voicemail last week, which you returned, then we chatted online for roughly 35 minutes about the war in Canada. I said it was high time we deport Alex Trebek, you suggested protecting the border with trained bunny land-mines.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Hey, remember that time when I was at your place and all you wanted to do was watch tv? And remember how I didn't like that at all? Remember how I tried to tempt you away from the couch and nothing worked?

That was fun. Trying to tempt you away, I mean. ;)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I love Brother's and Sisters...but the new shows this season have left me a bit cold.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Traci Dolan said...

Ooops, I guess I should watch more TV.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

um....you totally forgot to mention the new Real Sex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home