Monday, August 06, 2007

Detour ahead

I'm finally back from Orlando. I know you missed me- I won't make you say it.

I spent some time with extended family recently. It was miserable. I hate to sound like such a downer all the time, because that's even less fun for you to read than it is for me to live, but the truth is such as it is. I don't know if it's self-pity or self-awareness, but I was very self-conscious about the fact that I'm the only adult in my family without a family of my own. Maybe the seed of that was planted in my mind by my father who, after we had dinner together last week, said he thought I was "a great catch." Not the kind of thing you want to hear from a parent, no matter how true it happens to be. (And it happens to be very true.) I know what he was hinting at, but I'm not settling down any time soon no matter how much he wants it. The old man is a perv and he wants to live vicariously through me.

I've never been able to see my future very well. Although there are things that I want for my life, I just don't have much imagination for getting from here to there. I finished that killer book a little over a week ago and am now reading Stumbling On Happiness. The book, so far, is a psychological explanation of how we experience the world in which we presently live and how our past and present experiences determine what we think the future will be like. The reality is that the future is rarely what we expect so the choices we make today, with the hope or expectation of some future result (i.e. happiness), are often misguided. I'd say that describes me to a tee. I'll try to let you know what happens next.

4 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Allie said...

well. i missed you.

welcome home.

and you are a great catch, a neurotic, wonderful, funny, frustrating, fantastic catch.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

i knew i should have let you put your chub in my ear.

er...would that be misguidedly predicting the future?

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Jimmy Ng said...

Hi tinyhands,
I stumbled upon your blog months ago and I find it quite an interesting one to read. About your future, haha, I guess time will come when you are to decide and take actions. Let nature takes its course when it comes to matters that you can't really control i.e. marriage.
I have linked you in my blog www.dropbystation.wordpress.com
Good posts!
p.s. I noticed that you ALWAYS post updates at 11.59PM. Coincidence or what?

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Allie said...

seriously.

the 17 year lag time between posts just isn't cutting it.

fo' reals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home