Monday, April 23, 2007

The one about last weekend

The culture-shock upon returning home, even after midnight in a nearly abandoned airport, is immediate and obvious. Among the other weary-travellers disembarking from the same location as I, smiles return to faces and the taboo against making eye-contact with a stranger fades. I shit you not, within 10 minutes I heard someone say "buckeroo" not to mention the phrase "I shit you not" with the slow drawl that conveys not mental slowness, but home.

I hopped on a plane Friday evening and was in the arms of my sweetheart a few hours later. Saturday was spent in the northern borough of the Bronx at the zoo. Unseasonably warm temperatures (for NYC) made it a very nice day, spent with family and friends. Nothing a few dozen stops at the Dippin' Dots booth won't make even better. We all agreed that both the best and worst exhibit was the gorilla habitat. There was a big crowd at Tiger Mountain, but nothing like the oohs and ahhs over our closest cousins, worth the price of admission on its own. After the zoo, I staged a coup and took over the family, directing them to the (formerly) quaint fishing village of City Island. Yes, you read that right, the guy from Texas showed the locals how to get around the Bronx and found a nice restaurant (though admittedly not the one I had planned, but with an excellent view of the lighthouse) for lobsters & scallops.

Sunday was much more low-key. I'm more impressed with Jersey City now that I've seen more of it and had some excellent Peking duck. Unfortunately we missed the movie, but that just gave us an excuse to go driving. The recent flooding in the tri-state area made a trip to Great Falls an unintentional Great Idea, as the cascades were very impressive and worth getting briefly lost in downtown Paterson. From Paterson to the ghetteaux to the Soprano house then back home for a quick nap before the flight.

There were, again, tears at the departure gate. I don't like to see that and I'd prefer tears at the arrival gate (which are better for the complexion, by the way), but I know they can't be helped until the next departure. It's kind of funny to think of living my life in terms of countdowns, but it passes the time so much faster than not having something to which to look forward. Thanks again to Beth and her family for a very nice time and the next something to which to look forward.

4 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

I remember going to the Bronx Zoo when I was in kindergarten with my family. Best day of my life. I'm sure it's even better now. Glad you're back safe and I can't wait to see Beth again.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Z- It was very nice and I really enjoyed seeing more of New York (besides Manhattan) and New Jersey. There are things I may never get used to, but the whole area is really growing on me. Beth will likely be back for Memorial Day. Maybe I'll take her to the hill country.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I love that I have something to look forward to. And I love that I have wonderful memories to cherish. But it does make me wonder if I'm forgetting to live now.

Leave it to me to be so freakin' serious with my comment. :-D

And damn...can my word verification be any harder?!??

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Beth- Yeah, cool it with the seriousness. You're bringing everyone down. Notice the lack of other comments?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home