Monday, February 12, 2007

The one about current events

I was thinking that as a fun activity (which you can play along at home) I would jump on the bandwagon. I call this game "jumping on the bandwagon" although you need neither a band, nor a wagon with which to cart them around. Jumping, also, is optional. Here's how you play- When two or more people do something stupid, you do it too. That's the only rule. I'll get the game started with a few:
- I will have a made-up disease I will call Restless Legs Syndrome. I will abbreviate it RLS so that people will ask me more about it when I tell them I have it and I will take a handful of pills.
- I will not be ashamed of my Syndrome.
- I will rush right out and buy whatever the latest iPod is as soon as it comes out.
- I will make fun of Microsoft products, even though they're just as good as anyone else's.
- I need more credit card debt, so I will put the iPod on my Discover card. I will not pay it off each month.
- I will drive an SUV. It's just me in the vehicle, but I need it. It should be a Hummer so that I can drive recklessly, with the knowledge that I am invincible in my Hummer.
- I will claim to have fathered Anna Nicole Smith's daughter.

My resolution to read more is going very well. I've finished 2 books so far this year, though I did start one of them before New Year's, so it's really only 1 and 1/2. I don't know what to read next though. Since February is a short month, I was thinking I'd read a short book so that I'd be roughly back on track to read one a month. But then I realized I wasn't going to stop reading if I finished one before the end of the month, so what is the point of trying to synchronize with the calendar. This is exactly the kind of internal debate and monologue with which I fill my days and you can never get back the time you spent reading it.

I had lunch with some friends at a Chinese buffet last week. I'm not a big fan of the buffet. Mediocre food is supposed to be better if you eat a lot of it? I am a big fan of the fortune cookie, however, but this one was pretty lame: Keep on keepin' on. What the hell kind of fortune is that? I think that was one of the Brady Bunch songs when they formed that groovy family band. You don't see enough 5+ member family bands these days. Three & four family members, sure, no big deal. But the Jackson 5, the Partridge Family, the Osmonds, the Bradys. These are the names everyone knows & remembers. I think that's how I want to be immortalized. I want to have 6-7 kids and usher in an era of the nostalgic family band. I'll be rich beyond my wildest dreams but I'm not in it for the money.

20 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Ev said...

Hands. Must. Post. More.

I get a tickle in my bottom half when I see "as told to your name here" in bold on my bloglines.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Beth said...

For a second there, I thought you were going to say you were going to play the game "Jump to Conclusions." There's a mat on the floor with different conclusions and you jump to it....nevermind.

Oh, you forgot to mention the greatest of all family performers. The Family Von Trapp.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Lisa Amorao said...

I was once talking to a J2EE developer and I don't know how it came up but he said "Microsoft takes existing products and make them better."

I almost cried. The guy had me fooled. I thought I had me a real J2EE guy. I knew there was a reason he was only charging me $70/hr.

Kinda like how I feel now...never thought I'd read it here...Microsoft's products are "just as good as anyone else's."

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Ev- Sorry to say, it's not me. I think you have Restless Bottom Half Syndrome or RBHS.

Beth- I told those fudge packers that I liked Michael Bolton's music.

Leese- My comment was more of an indictment of the computer business in general, rather than an endorsement of any particular brand. However, I think your J2EE developer meant to focus more on "MS takes existing products" than the "makes them better" part.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Lisa Amorao said...

Nah he meant it that way. This was around 2004 when .NET developers were sexy, I guess.

But yeah I was gonna say, I love this bandwagon game. I've been playing it with Vista for a couple of weeks now and Zune since the holidays. :o)

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Not to be rude, but how are you going to have 6 or 7 kids?

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger sardsy75 said...

"- I will have a made-up disease I will call Restless Legs Syndrome. I will abbreviate it RLS so that people will ask me more about it when I tell them I have it and I will take a handful of pills.
- I will not be ashamed of my Syndrome."

You say that you may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but that you are a tool. Stick to being just that ... a "tool".

In some countries, when you say you are a "tool" or a called a "tool" ... you are simply - an undesirable person; and in your case, one who has nothing better to do with their time than talk down about things they have no idea about.

Why am I wasting my time talking to a "tool"??? I have Restless Legs Syndrome.

RLS may not kill me, but it has tortured me for every day of my 31 years of life to the point that I spend more hours awake in a 24hr day than most peope. RLS is a Sleep Disorder ... sleep deprivation IS a killer. A good night's sleep ... what's that? I only sleep for more than 3 hours at a time when I DO take a handful of pills.

When you pick on an illness (or syndrome, whatever you want to call it) ... do your homework first ... in this case ... http://www.rls.org , http://www.rls.org.au , http://www.rlsrebel.com , http://www.wemove.org , http://www.rlshelp.org ... those should get you started on your way to doing something useful in the way of your own education.

Thanks for allowing me to waste away some of my time that I should be using to sleep, but cant ... because my legs wont allow me.

If you're really really really really really really THAT bored ... here's something boring for you to read: a publication on the actual DOLLAR value of getting a good nights sleep: http://www.accesseconomics.com.au/publicationsreports/showreport.php?id=22&searchfor=2004&searchby=year

You "tool's" come in handy ... thanks for making your ignorance available! Sweet dreams :)

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Allie said...

sardsy needs a good nap.

settle down bevis.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger sardsy75 said...

a good nap?

a nap = sleep = something RLS doesn't allow me to get

get it yet???

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Lisa Amorao said...

The game is still on?

So Bill Gates said that Vista is so secure you can run life support systems on it.

Nevermind that a MS spokesperson said that you can kill it by talking to it...

Wow. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "blue screen of death," doesn't it?

Would you like to terminate this patient now?

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Allie said...

ok, that right there is just plain funny.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jack said...

I'm gonna make up a syndrome, too. I'm gonna call it Sardsy; short for I Take Myself Way Too Seriously Syndrome.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Allie said...

i have an urge i cannot control to kiss jack smack on the lips right about now.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Allie, you have "Uncontrollable Urge To Kiss Jack" Syndrome? Oh my, now that is serious. You need help, dear. ;)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Allie said...

beth - is there hope for me ;)

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Ookami Snow said...

I think that my first move in "jumping on the bandwagon" will be to blame all my problems on others. I think you get alot of points for that one since it happens all the time.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Hey Ookami Snow ... Speaking of bandwagons ... If you'd like to jump onto the KU bandwagon we still have some room. We already have tons of KState football fans and others from Manhattan, but we can probably fit one more.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Lisa Amorao said...

Beth and Allie --

There are a lot of misconceptions about that syndrome. There are no medications for it because it's caused by a virus. You gotta let it take its course.

Yes, it is serious. It is highly contagious, for one. So make sure you keep yourself isolated. You don't wanna spread that stuff around.

But there is good news. It's a fast-moving virus. Kinda like the stomach flu. Hits hard, but softens after 12 hours.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Ebriel said...

Kung Hei Fat Choi to you, Tinyhands! See you in Hong Kong someday!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

and just who do you think you're calling simple-minded?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home