Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The one about my money

Although I've still been reading your blogs, I've been spending a lot more time reading personal finance blogs, written by non-professionals and we'll call that my excuse for not writing here more often. I've got to blame it on somebody besides myself. I also find that by telling all of my "stories" to someone over the phone (or IM or email) I don't have as much motivation to rewrite them here. As evidence, note my decline in output since June (or so) of last year. Again, blaming it on someone else (who will remain nameless because she's really cute!).

I worked on my taxes last weekend (did you know that it is tax season?) and it looks like I'm getting a big sexy refund. Obviously I'm not opposed to getting a refund, but it means that the IRS has been using my money free of charge and I don't like that. Since I already have a regular, steady savings plan (don't you?) and monies earmarked for home improvement, I'm going to treat this refund as found money. I'm going to put 1/3 away in my long-term savings (Russian mail-order bride), 1/3 in my short term savings (planning on a trip to Hawaii this fall), and I want to spend about 1/3 of it now. I'm usually very modest in my spending, so I figure I'm entitled to treat myself. Only trouble is, gee whiz, I can't decide what to buy for myself...

- I never did buy those boots that I wanted for my birthday.
- Even though winter is over, I've been told that I need a new jacket.
- I've been thinking about buying a R/C helicopter, since I haven't bought myself any toys in a long time.
- I suppose I could buy a game console, since I know at least one person hooked on this thing and, apart from it looking awesome on my 57" HDTV, it might get her to visit me more often.
- On the other hand, I could upgrade my PC so that it can play the latest games in addition to doing all the stuff that a console cannot.
- I would really like to upgrade to a dSLR camera, but unless I expand my budget I'd be looking at a lower-end body and kit lens. If I wait until closer to the Hawaii trip (since I won't really need the camera until then) I can probably do better (and spend more).
- I could buy every book and DVD on my wishlist.
- I could buy an "upgrade" for my car.
- I could buy & frame some art for my walls.
- I love a clean house, so one of these might be fun.
- And I could go on and on (but I won't).

If you had $500 (approx. ¥60,000 / R3600 / AU$635) and you had to spend it on yourself, what would you do?

10 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Esther said...

hmm, R3600 could go well towards bying some new clothes or installing a new (proper) fish pond or even a weekend away in some moderately priced getaway spot.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Lisa Amorao said...

I'm taking my change from the federal government to go pay the state (property taxes).

If I had an extra $500 I'd go shopping for: a new pair of road shoes and a wetsuit. Then maybe I'll have some change for a full tank of gas so I can go drive somewhere and use what I just bought.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I'd take a mini vacation to South Carolina to visit friends.

And I gotta say, that leather jacket is HOT!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

3sth3r- I hadn't considered renovating my (or buying a new) fishtank which has been empty for almost 3 years.

Leese- A full tank of gas is pretty expensive for you soccer moms and your SUVs.

DCTL- It's so soft and smooth too, like buttah. Unfortunately, it's been 80 degrees outside lately.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Leese said...

At $3/gal here in Silicon Valley (last year we were at $3.40s...) you don't need an SUV to break the bank. $40 to fill up my Accord.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger PDgirl said...

I don't know about you, but I can always go for a really awesome 2-hour full-body stone massage at one of those fancy spas where they have free snacks and drinks while you wait and they give you a heated robe to wear, too! That's where I'd blow my $500...nothing in the world is as wonderful as a really, really good massage.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

Let's see... $500 to blow? I think I'd go to Costco and buy a bunch of blueberries!!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Create a Ring Fund. Nothing says "Back off assholes, she's mine!" quite like a ring does.

Oooor if you don't want to save that money for someone very very sweet and schexy, fine! As long as I still get to watch prOn with you. prOn!!! ;)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

i do hope you find something fun to spend your refund on.

prompted to respond to your comment on my site. while i am not in the practice of defending my writing, your comment rubbed me the wrong way. perhaps because you were rubbed the wrong way by my post. it was meant to be frivolous fantasy. to say that i don't expect to put in an effort when meeting a special man just seemed mean, and a bit too personal a comment for you to make. even though you meant no offense, i am sorry, but i did find it a bit offensive. but, i would never begrudge you your opinion. i respect you for airing it. just wanted to offer my rebuttal. :)

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

$500? Hookers and blow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home