Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Keep Right

I don't figure anyone really wants to read a day by day recap of where I went and what I saw while on vacation up north, but here's the highlights and you can see photos over on Beth's blog:

Coney Island: Ate a hot dog on the boardwalk, rode the Wonder Wheel and the Cyclone. Astroland is now closed, apparently forever, so if you haven't gone you missed it. If you hurry you can still shoot the freak.
Yankee Game: My jinx against professional sports also works in the TriState Area but it was well worth the price of admission to eat a hot dog in the house that Ruth built. Yankee Stadium is due to be demolished after next year, so get off your butts and go see it.
Philly: Independence Hall is more impressive than I thought, but I think the right tour guide makes all the difference. Liberty Bell is just so-so, imho. Also saw Christ Church and a pretty weak King Tut exhibit. Ate the best cheesesteaks (ploural) in town.
Atlantic City: I don't really like my gambling to be so family-friendly, but the boardwalk and beach kick-ass. I won $18 at video poker but still had to pay for my own buffet. Where's the comps?
The Cloisters: What the hell is the protocol on the "recommended" donation? I didn't really want to pay the whole $20 but I'm not going to give those museum snobs the satisfaction of looking down at me.
Wall Street: Pet the bull, greed is good.
Central Park Reservoir: Why is everyone else walking counter-clockwise?
Chinatown: Yum yum dim sum, my first xiaolong bao. Oh yes, I will be making these at home. Something's amiss when parking costs more than dinner though.

The worst part of any vacation is going home. Yes, there's the tears, but even worse than that is the airline food. Can you believe Continental, my favorite airline, now serves Hot Pockets!? Airline food has never been anything close to "cuisine" but Coair used to do a decent job of not killing you before you reached your destination. On the flight there, I was served a chicken sandwich that looked like a hamburger. Where I come from, chicken patties are breaded, without exception. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when on the flight home they served a "chicken wrap". But as I live and breathe, that was no wrap and I've got the diarrhea to prove it. 'Nuff said.

5 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Beth said...

More than a week has passed and still no comments. Bastards!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

I thought surely the HotPocket would spark a lively debate. No props. :(

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Beth said...

HotPockets! Whooo!


Apparently, I'm brown on the outside and white trash on the inside. :-D

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Good morning! You're about to call in sick.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

They're tearing down everything that was fun in NY. Bastards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home