Monday, October 17, 2005

Karma for fun & profit

Yesterday (Sunday) was my birthday. I don't tell you this so that you'll wish me a belated happy birthday. No, I'd be just as happy if you didn't. I'm cool with it if you want to mark your calendar and try again next time, just not this year. I don't like my birthday, since it has always marked the beginning of the holiday season for me. The holiday season that brings everyone else such joy and happiness signals the beginning of my seasonal depression. It's a reminder of all the things I have yet to accomplish as time ticks steadily away. I don't have much time left though. Well, none of us do. Don't waste your time. Be vigilant against those people and things that distract you. Do the things you want to do, say the things you want to say, be with those you want to be with. Get each other drunk and dance in the light of the full moon.

I got birthday cards in the mail from my grandmother and my insurance agent. I got emails from one of my cousins, her mother, a former-coworker/groomsman, and my ex-wife. I got phone calls from a different aunt and Allie, the best friend a guy (or gal, for that matter) could ever have. I got a very nice steak dinner and the other $100 to pay for my tires from mom & dad. But I still think about what I haven't got. Didn't get.

I feel guilty for writing this, because you might feel bad (or sorry) for me. But you didn't know and I'd have to be a ass to hold that against you. If anything, I kept it from you. It's over and done with now. I'll be done with the seasonal depression by February or so. Maybe check back with me then.