Thursday, September 22, 2005

Update

Rare midday post for me, so my apologies. I know some of you are worried about me and my family and may be checking here regularly, so I thought I'd give you something else to read.

The plan at this point is that my father and idiot brother-in-law are driving up from the Clear Lake area to my townhome in the city. We have food and supplies for at least a couple of days and will be reasonably safe here. Once the storm has passed we will attempt to leave the city.

I know it seems contrary, to leave after the storm, but if you guys could see all the reports we're seeing here (total gridlock, no gasoline) you might understand. All of our cars have enough gas to get us out of the city, but not if we sit in stationary traffic. Going nowhere and using up the gas doesn't do us any good. Houston won't be cut-off from the rest of the world like New Orleans was and Galveston will be. If the storm hits Friday at midnight, it should be over by roughly Saturday midnight and we'll start looking to get out by Monday morning. At that point, leaving is not for our safety but for our comfort. After the storm we expect the weather to return to ~100 degF, and without a/c that will be miserable.

Leaving before the storm IS still an option that we're keeping open. It will depend on the traffic and the storm, both of which are being continuously updated. My uncle and his family are still here as well, and we're all touching base every few hours as we debate & decide. For those of you who know how to contact me, don't. I'll post here when I'm able.

4 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger boo said...

good luck... fingers crossed... it may even die out... or change direction...

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

I'm riding it out in the city as well... good luck!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

My ex has been sitting on I-45 since 2 am this morning and he is only to Conroe from Clear Lake. It's crazy out there.
I am so glad we left when we did.
Please stay safe sweetie!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

That was lovely of you, thank you. Really, thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home