Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fly in the ointment

I've discovered a tiny flaw in my theory about being happy...

Recall that I'm trying to be a happy and upbeat person under all circumstances. I'm doing pretty good at it, by sheer force of will, despite traffic jams and 1,000 pages of reading for school each week. I haven't had the opportunity yet to practice what I was preaching the other day when I said we should more proactively celebrate our successes and remember them year after year, and that's when I discovered a problem:

Although not strictly required, happiness is best when shared with another.

For example, I'm VERY happy right now (and those of you that know me best know this is rare) but I don't really have anyone to share it with. I've emailed and IM'ed a few people about this happiness, but it's not the same as someone being here. To me, there is little better than the pure joy of seeing your smile reflected in someone else's smile. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying happiness (mine or otherwise) is dependent on anyone else, it's just the a la mode with your pie. Honestly, it's one of the things I miss about being married. Sure, there were plenty of specific things about my ex-wife that I liked, but now being divorced I don't particularly miss those specific things (take that however you will). Who did you call when something great happened to you? Who hugged you in congratulations? Who held your hand on the way to somewhere fun? See what I mean?

Anyway, I'm listening to Tilbrook and that makes me happy.

6 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

you can call me when something great happens. i show GREAT enthusiasm for someone else's happiness.


as for holding your hand...

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger boo said...

oh brother... charlie brown...

Who do you call?... lordy... does the whole world... have to hear you flush the loo as well?...

But perhaps it's just me... i love... love... love... time alone... that to me... is heaven... the best kind of friends... are the ones... i forget are there...

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

#3moo- Oops, point missed.

Fuzzy- Oh, nothing. Just being happy for a change. ;)

Boo- Come to think of it, misery is best shared as well. But when you've spent as much time as I have in total isolation, more time alone is a curse.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger christelpistol said...

point wasnt missed.
it was rerouted to a new location and ended up at a person who cares enough to let you know that.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

#3moo- Whoops, you're right. Sorry for my inconsiderate, flippant response. xox

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Brighton said...

You can always call me, I'm only a stone's throw away...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home