Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Calm

It appears inevitable at this point that a very large hurricane is coming to town this weekend. The forecasts at this point are for a storm nearly as big as Katrina. New Orleans, as you already know, suffered the devastation it did because much of it lies below sea level. Houston, on the other hand, is roughly AT sea level, therefore we will all be swept away into the sea instead of suffering horribly at the hands of inept right-wing government while left-wing reporters sit idly by. Much preferred.

I'm doing all the normal disaster preparedness stuff- downloading new albums, baking Bagel Bites, and reading a book about the development of the Gregorian calendar- but it's getting really spooky around here. The TV is now 24-hour hurricane watch with regular, live updates from the food warehouse stores about how quickly the bottled water sold out. I'm not sure whether I'm going to weather it in place or, more likely, flee to the north side of town with my dad & idiot brother-in-law. The womenfolk will have already fled to grandmother's. I've still got some preparation to do around here, but I'm in pretty good shape so far. Maybe I'll go have sushi tomorrow.

I know there's an important topic I've failed to discuss, but I'm going to shelve discussion until next week at the earliest. I'm not much of a fatalist anymore, so don't expect any teary-eyed confessions of love and sin. One way or another, I'll see you on the other side. In the meantime, I'm going to go looting.

7 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, Blogger boo said...

Hey there... good luck... what with the big thing... heading your way... for some odd reason... i have no sympathy for weather disasters... or disasters... since... i was about 12... i find them funny... and exciting... which is a lil strange... as i realise... lots of people die... but then to me... death is a wonderful thing... oh the sweet release... ah that day.... anyway... back to you...

Fingers crossed... that nothing funny... in the shape of the weather... crashes around you... and yours...

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Mike said...

You're not going "looting", you're going "finding".

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

boo- Thanks, I think.

ikeMay- How culturally-insensitive of me.

Ape- Having a great time, wish you were here! ;)

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger lucidkim said...

flashlights and batteries. water and junk food: lots of it. or run, tinyhands, run.

be safe.

kim

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger me said...

please leave. please. i'll buy you a pony.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger PDgirl said...

Looting isn't the right term. It's borrowing for the time being.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

kim: I've got a week's supply of Honey Nut Cheerios. Bring it.

ブレベン: I'd settle for a new entry once in a while...

Aide: The home theater store is within walking distance. Plasma baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home