Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Hall of Fame Hall of Fame

Well after a really dry week I think I've come upon another great idea: The Hall of Fame Hall of Fame. Google "Hall of Fame". The first page and a half are pretty decent Halls of Fame, like baseball, basketball, football. After that they get pretty weak. The Ecology Hall of Fame? The Cooperative Hall of Fame? Do both Georgia and Alabama need separate Music Halls of Fame? It's not like one state is on the west coast and the other is on the east cost. They're right next to each other!

Somebody has to put a stop to this rampant Hall of Fameyiness (Halling of Fame?), so I'm establishing the Hall of Fame Hall of Fame, to recognize the truly great Halls of Fame. Separate the wheat from the chaff, if you will (aside: Biblical reference, if I'm not mistaken). Eventually I'll get a website so you can stop in and see which are the decent Halls of Fame. Say you're planning a cross-country trip. You don't want to go out of your way to see the Quilter's Hall of Fame in Marion, Indiana without checking out ahead of time whether or not it's a poseur Hall of Fame. What could be more off-putting? (aside: see earlier blog regarding 'off-putting')

My first inductee: The Baseball Hall of Fame, of course. Cooperstown. Can you name any other Hall of Fame that is known by the name of the town in which it's located? No, you can't. But I tell you what, those folks are sure doing it right and it's high time someone recognized them. I'm not going to get into the Pete Rose debate or any of that stuff. The Baseball Hall of Fame is one class act.

[Note: Sorry for all of the rhetorical questions. It just poured out of my head that way, you know?]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home