Friday, October 17, 2008

The end of an era

I am in mourning. Today, at approximately 2:45pm, the era of the Miata came to an end.



The accident occurred one day after my 37th birthday, and 16 days before her 10th birthday. She had a tick over 79,000 miles on her. I know that's less than 8,000 miles a year but we loved every minute we spent together.



I had already begun shopping for new shoes for her birthday. With an estimated blue book value under $6000, I expect the insurance company to total her and offer me much less. The airbags alone cost half of that.



The other victim, a 2008 Hummer H3, crossed into my lane of traffic unexpectedly. I believe I had the legal right-of-way, but again I expect the insurance company to screw me.

I am largely unharmed and I declined having an ambulance check me out. I have some minor burns and scrapes on my left arm from the airbag. My left shoulder/neck is starting to hurt a little bit from the seatbelt, but nothing a few muscle relaxers (and a bourbon) won't fix. I also inhaled a bit of smoke/powder from the airbags. I can still kinda taste it and feel it in my lungs a tiny bit, causing me to cough. I'll be fine, apart from the emotional scars.

9 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Allie said...

so sorry face. i know you loved that wee car.

maybe you can get another red convertible for your midlife crisis.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I loved that car too. :(

I know I shouldn't wish eevil on other folks, but I hope the bitch in the Hummer gets an STD or something.

What? Too mean?

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

i will kick that hummer's ass!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I'm so sorry. I didn't know your car, but she seemed like a good egg.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

NOOOOOO! That is soooo sad. :(
I don't like seeing Miatas scrunched like that. :(
For some reason, I thought you had an M1, I have no idea why.

I hope the insurance company doesn't screw you. That would be a nice thing to console you.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger christelpistol said...

OH no.... are you ok?

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Zelda said...

Oh sad day. I'm sorry I didn't know about this sooner. I'm glad you're okay, though. And if you need a chiropractor.....

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Ugh, that sucks. Glad you're okay, though.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Ebriel said...

Oh no, what a gorgeous car!! So sorry to hear she's bent out of shape to the point of being un-fix-able. Or rather not worth the cost.

Glad to hear you're doing ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home