Monday, November 07, 2005

F.A.Q. - Part I

Something I've come to realize is that THIS is for me, while everything else is for you. There's a chance this will be the last time I write about myself, and I may go to a once-a-week format. But without further ado, me...

Origin of Nicknames:
  • m0e - This is one of the oldest screennames I ever used, even predating the internet. I used to connect to chat-BBS systems but was too cheap to pay for it. The generic nickname given to freeloaders (who inexplicably thought it k3w1 to use numerals instead of letters) was a m0e but it was a term of endearment for me with the 'regulars'.
  • ForlornTexan - The original blogger screenname. I was looking for an adjective to jam onto -Texan and came across a bit of poetry by Oliver Goldsmith (The Hermit) - "For here forlorn and lost I tread / with fainting steps and slow / where wilds, immeasurably spread / seem length'ning as I go." Sometimes an interesting word jumps out at you.
  • Tinyhands - Definitely self-deprecating imagery at work here, a foil to all the other men online with nicknames proclaiming their superior genitalia.
Marriage:
Not a terribly exciting story, I'm afraid. We met at University, after I insisted that a dormmate introduce me to every girl he knew. I was instantly attracted to her...roommate. That never panned out, since it wasn't mutual, but a friendship developed and turned to dating. I transferred to a different school and we did the long-distance thing for a while. She graduated and moved closer. I finally graduated and we agreed to work for a couple of years, having money as singles. We didn't live together before marriage, but that was our choice, not a religiously-inspired moral decision. On a trip to Paris, I proposed in the Jardin du Luxembourg. We were married on September 11th (an omen, if ever there was one, but not the 9/11) after 7 1/2 years of dating.

Divorce:
Again, not terribly exciting. She enjoyed her job (and was handsomely compensated) and I hated mine (though not so handsomely compensated). I turned to escapism in computer games and television, she turned to working. It got to the point where we were just married roommates, she decided that she deserved to be "cherished" on a daily basis, and understandably felt that she wasn't. We tried counselling (and anti-depressants for me) but she was convinced that she wasn't in love with me and never took the counselling seriously. She left, but ultimately got the house while I got lots of cold, hard cash. "Amicable" divorce finalized on 19 April 2004. Yes, I suspect she might have been having an affair, but it really doesn't matter any more and it's none of my business now. We're still friendly, but not friends.

Allie (and 1L) wants to know about 11:59pm:
This is simple. It's because I can never remember whether midnight is 12am or 12pm. I can tell you how to find the 'bond equivalent yield' or run a Markowitz optimization on your portfolio, but telling time is beyond my skillset. So I chose 11:59pm and decided that I'd just be a procrastinator, choosing to write at the last possible minute before the end of the day. And I really do write late at night, since I'm a night owl.

Kim wants to know about 10/5/05:
I was chatting (or emailing, I forget) with someone when the idea entered my mind that until I've actually MET someone they don't exist. For example Kim, you don't exist, we haven't met. Zelda, Jethro, Brighton, Tonia - they all exist. But I had this line in my head, "wrap my arms around the idea of you," and made up the rest of the post on the fly. There was a specific someone in mind, one whom I had not yet met.

Kim also wants to know about 10/26/05:
This is a tougher one to answer, and it cuts right to the core of my self-censorship. The problem with me saying that there was a specific lie is because, if you read the definition, lies depend on the teller, not the listener. All I can tell you is my perspective, and though I'll greatly simplify the situation, I'm trying to avoid being evasive or cryptic- A girl told me she wasn't interested in a relationship, then told someone else that she was. It's probably all a huge misunderstanding, but over and done with and we've moved on.

Heather wants to know about my underpants:
Usually, briefs (aka tighty-whiteys, butt-huggers, grippers). I've been trying to transition to boxer-briefs though, so I've got a few of those.

Aide wants to know about other blogs I read:
Currently I have 65 (since can't bring myself to delete April First) bookmarked in my favorites, broken down into 3 categories- proven, unproven, and professional. I don't keep a "blogroll" here because I really don't want to offend anyone by forgetting/leaving one off. Likewise, I'm not comfortable with listing my Top 5 (and suffice it to say that if you comment, even infrequently, and have updated your own blog within the last 30 days, it's in my favorites) but here's five good ones:
I'm a creature of habit, and I check all 65 every day.

[Ed. Note: This seems like a good place to pause until 11:59 tomorrow.]

10 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Allie#3ga said...

yeah - but what's the deal with those numbers?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Look tiny, I can take not being on your "blogroll" but how about some recognition for turning you onto Mulgrew?

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger lucidkim said...

great answers - thanks

kim

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I find myself still thinking about that 05 Oct post...it's one of my faves.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger tinyhands said...

Mimi- Patience

ikeMay- I've emailed Jason about you. Not sure if you have to sign for a restraining order, but you might make sure someone's home.

Kim- *whew*

KCTL- Thanks, but you're not real either. ;)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Jammie J. said...

So, what categorizes a blog as proven, unproven and professional?

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Duly Inspired said...

What's leading you to a once-a-week format?

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger tinyhands said...

J- 'Proven' is anything I've been reading for several months that has a track-record of consistent updates. 'Unproven' are those that I've recently stumbled across and had at least one entry worth bookmarking and returning to. 'Professional' are the ones like McSweeney's or PostSecret.

1L- Just considering that if I reduce the output, I can spend more time on quality.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Zelda said...

ha ha. Superior genetalia.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Badaunt said...

Ooh, how encouraging. That's the second compliment I got this week. I'm just about to blog about the other one.

(Of course The Man compliments me all the time, but he insults me just as often, and the compliments and insults tend to cancel each other out.)

(How come I never get the word verification thing right the first time?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home